Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffmorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey everyone,

I brought my MacBook Pro to Apple (for the second time, first to get a new screen), for them to replace the SSD, which had crashed. It could be a coincidence, but since then, my battery life has been horrible. On medium-high brightness, I get less than 3 hours of simple web browsing or typing on Word.

Can anyone help me with this? I've noticed that the GPU has always been over 60 degrees (Celsius) and both fans running at about 3000 RPM. Battery health is 94% & 137 cycles.

Thanks,

Jeff

----------

I just read on an Apple support forum that doing this could help.

Open Terminal:
Type the following, hit enter after each line:

cd ~/Library/Preferences/
rm com.apple.desktop.plist
killall Dock

Should it fix the issue, does anyone know?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I brought my MacBook Pro to Apple (for the second time, first to get a new screen), for them to replace the SSD, which had crashed. It could be a coincidence, but since then, my battery life has been horrible. On medium-high brightness, I get less than 3 hours of simple web browsing or typing on Word.

Can anyone help me with this? I've noticed that the GPU has always been over 60 degrees (Celsius) and both fans running at about 3000 RPM. Battery health is 94% & 137 cycles.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

I just read on an Apple support forum that doing this could help.

Open Terminal:
Type the following, hit enter after each line:

cd ~/Library/Preferences/
rm com.apple.desktop.plist
killall Dock

Should it fix the issue, does anyone know?
It won't hurt to try, but it will only help if that's the issue that's draining your battery, which may or may not be the case.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
my battery life is pretty awesome to be honest. i got up to 7 and half hours of net browsing (including youtube watching) at half screen brightness.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Since you got the SSD replaced, it is possible that spotlight is re-indexing the contents of your machine. This can take a while and causes increased power consumption. Just a thought.

You should open activity monitor and check if there are processes that constantly use the CPU (10% or more). There is no magic in battery duration, if it runs down faster than expected, it is because something is using it.

jeffmorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the replies. I have one process, named "bash" that's using approximately 12% of my CPU and another, notifyd, that is using about 9-10% CPU.

Battery life was great until I brought it in to Apple. It's been at least a month since I got it back so it can't be Spotlight indexing my files anymore.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Sorry for hijacking the thread and if it's better to open a new one with this question just tell me, please.

My question is simple, anyway. Is there any app that gives us the option to create different power profiles? For example, when I'm using battery power, I'd like OSX to automatically turn off the automatic brightness adjustment and put the level to a different one. This is only an example.. more options would obviously be welcome.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.