iPad 15" rMBP + iPad combination

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yaymath, Oct 19, 2013.

1. yaymath macrumors regular

I will soon be getting a 15" rMBP and I was thinking of also getting an iPad (probably the full-size one), once the new one comes out. I am worried, however, that my iPad would not get much use to justify the price.

I am a college student and I have to do a lot of readings, many of which are in PDF format. iPad seems perfect for that, but I can also read on the rMBP. Also, how much easier is it to annotate on the iPad compared to Mac?

I was also thinking of using my iPad as a second display for my rMBP using Air Display when I am at my desk. I do not have enough space for an actual external monitor, nor do I have the money for a display whose resolution would match that of the rMBP. Using an iPad as a second display would add about 45% screen space, so I would be able to have three windows open rather than two.

The iPad is also more portable that the rMBP and I would be able to take it with be at those times when I cannot bring my rMBP.

So, I would use an iPad for textbooks and other readings, as a second display and to substitute my rMBP when I cannot have it with me. Is it worth getting an iPad to accompany a rMBP, based on my needs? Also, what do you use an iPad for?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I had an iPad for school purposes, once I got the 15" rMBP, I rarely use my iPad anymore. Because Im in engineering, I find myself needing full autocad, MS word, and just overall better multitasking, which the iPad cant do. What I do use my iPad for is when I have that 1 class a day when I need my textbook, but dont feel like dragging my rMBP along for that one class.

I personally havent done any kind of display extension onto my iPad, so I cant give you any opinion on that part. Same goes with PDF annotation, I have not done any of that in my 4 years of college so far, but to each their own right? Yeah it seems that the iPad would be better for that purpose though. To me pen and paper with references to book pages is still the best note taker.

Note the iPad I have is an iPad mini, and to me its far more practical for my classes. It allows for more desk space and much easier to carry around with me. Granted the new iPad form factor will be smaller bezel-wise, but I have no idea how much desk space it would consume. But the mini would provide less of a display for your macbook screen extension. Its all up to you. I think the 15" rMBP + iPad mini is the perfect combination for myself for my uses, not sure what your experience will be like though. I would suggest maybe just getting the rMBP and seeing where the iPad is really needed and if you can or cant do without it.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For me, using a laptop to read is like using a power drill to open a bottle of wine. Probably can be done (if you find the right size bit), but completely the wrong tool for the job. Reading on laptops is good if you are sitting at a desk, but in any other situation, even the lightest laptops get heavy after a while, and you really start wishing you could detach the keyboard. So yes, iPad is perfect for reading.

I haven't tried annotating PDFs myself, but I know there are lots of apps for that, and I've seen many people report liking doing it on the iPad. I understand that with the right app, you can "draw" on PDF like you were writing on a paper copy, which is something you can't do on a MacBook.

4. yinz macrumors 6502a

You should definitely get the iPad. It seems to fit your needs perfectly. The 15" MacBook Pro won't leave your house often as it's a behemoth to carry around. You'd probably only take it out if you have group assignments or need to work on homework outside of home.

If you commute by public transit, the iPad is especially useful. I completed many of my readings while in transit when I was in school. The iPad definitely increases productivity THAT way. I wouldn't even hesitate for a full sized iPad as the iPad mini isn't great for reading. It's a little too small in my opinion.

PS: Really jealous of 15" rMBP though.

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

sounds like you don't need a rMBP

maybe look into a MBA

6. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on playing a few games and I find a 13" display not enough for my needs.

7. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Get the ipad mini and use the extra money for the 64 gb version. You don't need the full size it looks like the rMBP is amazing and you won't regret that. If you have the money, get nee. If nt the refurbish will drop in price. Again, use the money you save to up the storage. It makes a huge difference.

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I hope you plan on playing very few games, gaming on Mac is like oil and water

9. oggydude macrumors newbie

My iPad is priceless to me.

Hey I have a 15MBP and love my iPad, the 15 mbp is to big to carry to class and i do medicine so mostly its just lectures. I love how easy it is to view/watch lectures on my ipad and because of its small screen it makes me less likely to multitask and therefore I stick to work, I also use the ipad to annotate documents/anatomy images and it saves me a ton of money on printing, plus my books are on the ipad so saves lots of carrying space as well, its just a great tool for me, I think if you need to do a lot of productive work for your course such as writing essays/programming etc then a laptop thats portable such as a Air or 13rMBP would be better however for a course where you annotate documents/take notes of lecture slides/ or read/take notes of lots of book then its perfect. I actually only take notes by hand though an never type my notes so I prefer the iPad but I know some people type out notes but with apps that let you take notes whilst also viewing slides using a bluetooth keyboard.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I bring both iPad and 15" rMBP to my dorm. I had to bring rMBP to my class everyday. I used my iPad to read some stuff and check with my calander in the cafe. :apple:

11. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Both! The iPad is so convenient for web surfing and email. I just use my rmbp for work.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a 15" rMBP, 21" iMac, iPad3, & iPad mini. They all get used at some point every day. Don't worry - you'll find unique ways to use both. They may duplicate basic functions but they each shine at very different tasks just like a hammer & a mallet.

13. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone used his/her iPad with Air Display and a stylus as a drawing tablet?

14. addictzz macrumors 6502

the price difference from buying 13" MBA/rMBP and a 15" rMBP could get you a 24" monitor.

You couldn't possibly gaming so much on the go right?

15. Macalway macrumors 68000

THATS ME!!!

No, seriously, that's my arrangement

So in other words, I will be spending over 3k in the next week or so

Fortunately, I have stuff to sell :eek: