15" rMBP issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cergman, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I have a early 2013 rMBP 15" that I upgraded to 16GB ram and purchased the AppleCare plan. It's been a wonderful computer. However, there are some issues that I've encountered.

SD cards have to be inserted and removed multiple times in order for them to finally mount. They don't show up in disk utility either, so I'm thinking its more than likely a hardware problem. Also, I usually use my Mac with an external monitor via hdmi, and several times a day the external screen will turn off for about 3 seconds, then turn back on. This can't be graphics switching because I set the computer to always use the dedicated graphics.

My main concern is that this computer is in absolutely perfect condition. There isn't a single scratch or blemish anywhere on the machine, not even on the bottom. When I'm at the Genius Bar for other things, I see the geniuses walking around with their caseless iPads sliding around on top of people's computers and that seems like the computers would get pretty scratched, no?

Anyway, I downloaded the Apple service diagnostics (the exact one apple uses) for my computer model and ran them and it reported zero issues. Even if I did bring it into apple, would they do anything since their software isn't reporting an issue? Also, I am running the developer preview of Yosemite, will they have a problem with that? It happened on Mountain Lion before I restored to Yosemite.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Have you tried different SD cards? i.e. does it happen with different SD cards or just one. If just one or two, then there's a better chance that the SD card is defective and not your rMBP.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I don't remember the geniuses at either of the Apple stores near me treating customers items in such a way. Maybe you ought to take it to a different Apple store?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Where did you get the Apple service diagnostics software from? I'd love to have it.

5. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I had two that I used on a regular basis, and just got a 3rd and all encounter this issue. They're all sandisk cards though, so maybe that could be it?

I found it online after quite a bit of searching. Unfortunately, you need a specific version to work for your machine, or else I'd gladly send you the file. If you need ver.3S155, shoot me a pm :)