15" rMBP Keyboard Protectors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zsrhusain, Mar 7, 2013.

1. zsrhusain macrumors newbie

I just got a 15" rMBP. I got a Marware keyboard protector from the Apple store. It is horrible! It is sticky and hard to type with. Does anyone have suggestions of an alternative? Thanks

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

My advice would be to not use a keyboard protector without some kind of screen protector. The material can rub against the display, and if there's some kind of dirt/debris, it will scratch the screen. There was just a thread on here a few days ago about that.

I've tried a few in the past and I've never used one that is even moderately easy to type on. They're all relatively similar.

The only time I'd recommend using a keyboard protector is if you eat a lot around your computer (my fiancee uses a keyboard protector for this very same reason-- it has saved her MBP from two spills now...) or if you have a lot of pets and hair floating around. Otherwise, it's not worth the hassle.

The keyboard wear is not nearly as big a problem as it used to be. On the previous generation MBPs (before unibody), I could wear off the letters of the keyboard in a year with daily use. The only thing that happens with the current keyboard is that the keys take on a slightly shiny appearance.

3. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

i think you might have hit the nail on the head with this one. I have had a keyboard protector on my mac for a few days now and it has really slowed down my typing. I have since taken it off and it feels so much better to type on, i guess i just have to avoid eating when im using my mac now, or only put the protector on when i eat :eek:.

4. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

And use microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol to wipe the keys at least once a day, to keep the shiny keys away! ;)

5. zsrhusain thread starter macrumors newbie