Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maluspumila

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
I've decided to get a late 2013 15" rMBP to replace my faithful early 2008 15" MBP. My only config question is: What performance differences, if any, am I likely to notice if I go for the 2.3GHz i7 quad-core over the 2.0GHz version?

My guess is "hardly any difference", especially since I don't do any processor-intensive gaming, graphics/video editing, etc, so I'm assuming I should save the $100 difference. The only thing I use my 2008 MBP for that really strains its processor is Skype/Google Hangouts video chatting.

But I'm not that familiar with current processors, etc., so I'd be curious if there would be any advantages to a somewhat faster chip that I'm missing.

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I've decided to get a late 2013 15" rMBP to replace my faithful early 2008 15" MBP. My only config question is: What performance differences, if any, am I likely to notice if I go for the 2.3GHz i7 quad-core over the 2.0GHz version?

My guess is "hardly any difference", especially since I don't do any processor-intensive gaming, graphics/video editing, etc, so I'm assuming I should save the $100 difference. The only thing I use my 2008 MBP for that really strains its processor is Skype/Google Hangouts video chatting.

But I'm not that familiar with current processors, etc., so I'd be curious if there would be any advantages to a somewhat faster chip that I'm missing.

I was just faced with the same delimna, I chose the 2.0 Ghz model. I chose this one because I only use this computer for internet browsing, light photo editing and building/editing powerpoint, excel or Word documents. I do no video work nor do I "game" unless you call playing pokerstars gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.