15" rMBP maxed out, both models same price?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jerz, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jerz macrumors member

If I max out both 15" models for the late 2013 rMBP in the education store, one with dGPU and one without, they both end up being the same price?

Why?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because apple set the price that way?

You're basically configuring the 15" rMBP to be identical, the only difference is the dGPU. So upgrading to 1TB of SSD, 16GB of ram and selecting the 26GHz CPU makes the configuration identical (other then the dGPU)

3. Jerz thread starter macrumors member

So then Apple is willing to give away the 750m dGPU.

Ok.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I view it the other way, i.e., you're over-paying on the other one. That is you're paying 3,029 dollars for a maxed out rMBP yet you don't get a dGPU.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Actually, if both are at 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, both are already priced identically as well.

It's a no-brainer to get the model with the GT750M if 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD are the minimum specs desired by a buyer.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument there, and that's my point :) Why spend all that money and not get the dGPU. rMBPs are expensive you might as well get the most bang for your buck

7. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Someone may not want to hassle with the dGPU heating things up and drawing additional battery.

I know there is a System Preferences setting and 3rd party app solutions, but this is one way to know positively that you're getting the maximum battery life.

That said I'd take the dGPU and hassle.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Exactly. The benefits of having a free dGPU outweighs the advantages of having an Iris-only.