Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
so they said they'll need to keep my machine for a few more days.... so that the they can replace the display they ordered. I guess that's good? but they said the performance issue was software related... I'm thinking they won't do jack about these low bench scores, but I couldn't just ask them for a new laptop. Any ideas?

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Do you think your performance issues are heat related? Have you ever monitored your temps?

If it is heat related perhaps you can ask to have your CPU and GPU repasted.

Just a thought.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Software related? What a BS...:eek:
Anyway, when you get it back, make a backup, do a fresh install, then benchmark it again.
When the scores are still that low it is not software related.

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
pretty frustrated... I picked up my laptop tonight and to no surprise, the performance still sucked after resetting the SMC. I showed the geekbench score to the employee, but he said the "third party tool" has no validity in representing performance. They're just numbers.

I'm sure it's good practice and policy to say that third party tools can't truly tell whether or not something is bad, but I told them to run a stress test on the CPU . They'll keep my laptop for a few more days (...) and if they can't reproduce the problem, i'll just have wasted those days.

btw: the score of the benchmark after resetting the smc and running only geekbench was 9000.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
pretty frustrated... I picked up my laptop tonight and to no surprise, the performance still sucked after resetting the SMC. I showed the geekbench score to the employee, but he said the "third party tool" has no validity in representing performance. They're just numbers.

I'm sure it's good practice and policy to say that third party tools can't truly tell whether or not something is bad, but I told them to run a stress test on the CPU . They'll keep my laptop for a few more days (...) and if they can't reproduce the problem, i'll just have wasted those days.

btw: the score of the benchmark after resetting the smc and running only geekbench was 9000.

Download geekbench to one of the computers there and run a test in front of them.

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Download geekbench to one of the computers there and run a test in front of them.

doesn't matter if their laptop shows 90000000 and mine shows 1000. They choose not to base any performance on a third party tool no matter how reputable it is.

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I've been reviewing these geekbench scores and one thing stands out:

my 10.8.2 build version is 12C60 whereas no one else has this. People either have 12C3103 or 12C2034.

According to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1633

"Build 12C2034 is available for certain Macs only; it is installed by the OS X 10.8.2 Update (13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012), and Mac mini (Late 2012))."

How can this build be on the 15" retina display if it's only available as an update to the 13" rMBP?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5536

12C3103 is also for the 13" rMBP.

Am I missing something here? my 15" is fully up to date. And yes I'm aware of the SMC/EFI issue.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I've been reviewing these geekbench scores and one thing stands out:

my 10.8.2 build version is 12C60 whereas no one else has this. People either have 12C3103 or 12C2034.

According to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1633

"Build 12C2034 is available for certain Macs only; it is installed by the OS X 10.8.2 Update (13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012), and Mac mini (Late 2012))."

How can this build be on the 15" retina display if it's only available as an update to the 13" rMBP?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5536

12C3103 is also for the 13" rMBP.

Am I missing something here? my 15" is fully up to date. And yes I'm aware of the SMC/EFI issue.
My rMBP 2,3 GHz i7 has 10.8.2 build 12C3006, all mid 2012 (r)MBP's and Airs should have this build, it was the follow up of 12C60.
Where do you get all those build numbers from? I've googled them and they're all definitely not ment for our machines.
Check this article/message on MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/

Last edited:

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
My rMBP 2,3 GHz i7 has 10.8.2 build 12C3006, all mid 2012 (r)MBP's and Airs should have this build, it was the follow up of 12C60.
Where do you get all those build numbers from? I've googled them and they're all definitely not ment for our machines.
Check this article/message on MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/

hmm these build numbers are from the rMBP benchmarks that people have posted on this thread. Is there a reason why my rMBP didn't update past 12C60? I already had updated all my software, so it didn't tell me another update was available.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Take it to Apple..

It sounds like it's throttling, most likely do to a terrible thermal paste job.

this could be the explanation.

I understand that with processors and memory they either work or they dont.
I never know that it could hit the perfomance as bad as this and still working.

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
good news. got a call from apple and they said they had to replace the logic board (motherboard) so... does this mean they replaced everything like the cpu and gpu? I'm probably mistaken, but I thought apple laptops had everything soldered together so that you can't swap parts out?

either way, it'll be here by next week so I'll post the results! who knows, maybe they'll accidentally replace my 2.3 i7 with a 2.4!

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
good news. got a call from apple and they said they had to replace the logic board (motherboard) so... does this mean they replaced everything like the cpu and gpu? I'm probably mistaken, but I thought apple laptops had everything soldered together so that you can't swap parts out?

either way, it'll be here by next week so I'll post the results! who knows, maybe they'll accidentally replace my 2.3 i7 with a 2.4!

That seems like really great news, I love when apple pushes for great customer support

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

Wow, yes, that is really great news! :)
New logic board means practically a new rMBP, new CPU, new RAM, new Graphics, new insides!
Logicboard is what they call in the PC world a motherboard, and yes almost everything is soldered in place (except the Flash Memory). ;)

And it would be nice indeed if they'll replace it with a 2,4 GHz i7, who knows. :D ;)

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
finally got my laptop back! took them 6 days...

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1701170

my new score is tremendously better. Build Number is no longer 12C60 either.

This is what i'm talking about! woohoo. I did notice that they left some of their own benchmarking tools on my desktop and didn't delete them. These seem to be stress testing for the GPU and CPU. The CPU script seems to just max out the CPU usage.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
finally got my laptop back! took them 6 days...

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1701170

my new score is tremendously better. Build Number is no longer 12C60 either.

This is what i'm talking about! woohoo. I did notice that they left some of their own benchmarking tools on my desktop and didn't delete them. These seem to be stress testing for the GPU and CPU. The CPU script seems to just max out the CPU usage.

That's so great! :) I'm really glad that it all worked out in the end for you. ;)
When you'll use 64-bit Geekbench it'll score even higher (available in the Mac App Store). :D
Thnx for updating here on the matter! Enjoy your as new Mac!

swl7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
That's so great! :) I'm really glad that it all worked out in the end for you. ;)
When you'll use 64-bit Geekbench it'll score even higher (available in the Mac App Store). :D
Thnx for updating here on the matter! Enjoy your as new Mac!

thanks for the positive support! found out that they supplied me with a samsung lcd... but I still don't know how these build numbers work. 12C3012? what's the diff between that and 12C60

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
thanks for the positive support! found out that they supplied me with a samsung lcd... but I still don't know how these build numbers work. 12C3012? what's the diff between that and 12C60

that seems about right geekbench! :eek:
Here's my: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1702118

(3 safari windows open á 5-10 tabs each, stuff like dropbox and ultrafan in the background so close enough)

Two things on my mind though...
- Your RAM scored better, even though i have 16 vs your 8.
- Build number is different: mine = Build 12C3006 vs 12C3012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.