15" rMBP (nVidia 750) Heat Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KJmoon117, Jul 5, 2014.

1. KJmoon117, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I'm considering the rMBP 15" high end model and I was wondering how bad are the heat "issues"? I hear on the forums/sites this is the coolest Macbook Pro yet and I also hear that the laptop gets up to 100ºC with small tasks that use flash, which is an insane temp!

Are the issues exaggerated or does the notebook run too hot?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I don't know of any Apple computer that doesn't get that hot really. My '08 MBP did, my '11 MBA did, my '12 Mac Mini does. The components are rated higher than that and it would shutdown before it got too hot.

You have to realise there's a huge amount of power in something that's too thin for an Ethernet port. They run hot.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It doesn't throttle while gaming, which is an impressive feat. It runs way cooler than my old 2010 15" mbp.

4. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think this could affect the longevity of the rMBP compared to other Mac laptops?

How does the 13" rMBP/MBA compare?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They're all thin and they all run hot. The hardware will most likely last throughout the computers useful life.

6. wuush macrumors member

I only have a 13inch but when you watch youtube for a longer period of time (>1,5h) i can hear the fan spinning.
    (I know the fan spins all the time, but i cant hear it. Without load and audible fan noise my timemachine backup on a portable hdd is the loudest thing in my room)

I use ClickToFlash, Ghostery and Youtube5 and my macbook fan never ever spins during web browsing. These Safari Addons block pesky flash ads and with clicktoflash not every flash app loads when i open something, then youtube5 makes watching html5 videos on youtube even easier then enabling it in your account.

If i play a game even if its just something like Wolf Among Us (Comic Graphic) the fan will start to spin (audible) but only after some time and it will get hot.

BUT my macbook never gets really hot, i mean it will get warm, but i can still but it on my legs, even without long jeans.
    it gets warm, yes then fan starts spinning, yes does it get as hot as my 17inch sony vaio notebook i had before (plastic) no!

p.s. i was actually afraid of putting the sony vaio on my bare legs because this thing got really hot and had the fans on the bottom... (WHY just why its a LAPtop)

7. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Longevity with a glued in battery pack of the rMBPs and Apple's history of discontinuing batteries after ~8yrs could be an issue for collectors/users who keep their notebooks longer than average. Also cost wise Apple makes it costly, my old 13" 2010 needed a new battery which was $120 and later on I heard the price was hiked to $150--at the rate of inflation, if a battery replacement cost goes higher it'll be cheaper to replace on your 2nd battery replacement point(6-7yrs).

...in my situation I'm leaning back to an old strategy of new desktop then notebook cycle. Ever since we've hit dual/quad-core processors, buying a new portable isn't as earth shaking as the past.

Nobody is forcing you to use Flash, if a site uses multiple ads powered by Flash(Daily Fail err Daily Mail) it'll always push CPU/GPU usage higher up than necessary but you can run browser addons to block loading that fluff.

Processors can hit ~95-100C, the aluminum casing will act like a big heatsink to spread that heat away--most unibody MBP/rMBP rarely heat up as bad as the Powerbook G4/early Core Duo non-unibody.
    As far as heat output rMBPs are roughly similar to 2012 cMBPs, warm at best and rarely hot unless you're going to play games for 2-3 hours in which the CPU+GPU will go into full throttle.

There is a reason why Apple began calling portables "notebooks" as PCs became toasty to use/run while on a lap--there are countless reports of people getting rashes/burns from PCs back in 2002 and PowerBook G4 by 2004 weren't the coolest(1.33Ghz processor easily hit 70-75C, aluminum casing would hover at ~100-110F near the hinge and upper function keys). On modern unibody MacBook Pros/Retina MacBook Pros you have less "hot spots" than previous designs.

...if you've met anyone who've owned previous Macs, you'll hear rMBP opinion of it being cooler/coolest running Mac.

8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's no different than any other electronic device. They all get hot. They are designed to handle the heat. If it's too hot for you however get a laptop fan.

9. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the reply!

I'm just traumatized a little since my MBP 2011 15" got Radeongated within the last two weeks and it just screwed my work schedule up as it was my main machine. Plus I felt kind of bummed since it was only shy of 3 years. They say that the high heat was definitely a prime suspect.

I'm hoping that the 15" rMBP (w/ the nVidia) doesn't end up the same (or the MBA if I consider).

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Shoddy solders were at fault on the old models with GPU issues. It's not the heat itself, but the cycle of heating and cooling which leads to solder joints breaking.

The rMBP has a well designed cooling system with additional intakes compared to older systems. It stays quite cool under any usage that doesn't engage the dGPU.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mine also succumbed to Radeongate, and my 15" rMBP (2.6/16/1TB/750M) never throttles even when gaming.

The Haswell rMBPs run far cooler because:
    1. Haswell is power-efficient
    2. rMBPs have much better ventilation compared to cMBPs

The only time my fans spin up is when doing heavy 4K editing.