15" rMBP or 21.5' iMac + 11" MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lionsfan213, Aug 15, 2014.

1. lionsfan213 macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm currently shopping for a computer for college after my Windows computer stopped working. I wanted my next computer to be a Mac as I've heard good things about them. However, I am having a tough time deciding between two options that end up to be around the same price based on the configurations I've chosen. I was thinking of either getting:

15" Retina MacBook Pro (w/ Nvidia graphics) or
    21.5" iMac (w/ Nvidia graphics and 256gb SSD) + Base Model 11" MacBook Air

The most demanding software I would be using is Adobe CS6, Pro-E, and Autodesk Inventor in Bootcamp/Parallels. I have an external monitor I can use and I probably use my computer at a desk about 75% of the time. Given this information and based on your experience, which of these would be better overall? My other concern is that some of these computers may be due for an update soon: not sure if now is a good time to buy or if I should wait. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

2. george19273 macrumors newbie

Tough call. Retina display is certainly nice, but you can't beat the portability of the air.

3. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

That is quite close, it really depends on if you need the Portability of the MacBook Air, Since the iMac and the Retina MacBook Pro are pretty similarly specced.