Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I currently have a 5 year old 20" iMac as my main machine and I am looking to replace it next summer/fall.

I am currently stuck on deciding between the 15" rMBP and the 21.5" iMac. Both will be maxed out with around 256GB of flash storage.

I already have an idea of what I want, but this thread is for me to see what you all would pick and why!

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
So you think the users here are able to read your mind?
How do you expect a good advice without giving any information what you are supposed to do with the computer?

Quattro7

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2013
Personally I would chose the Macbook with a external monitor, because I find it really convenient to take my Macbook with me. But as twingo said, it really depends on what you want to do with it.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
If you want a Mac to go, a MacBook is the way to go.

If you want a Mac to stay put, an iMac could be where to stay.

If you want something that you can easily transport occasionally, consider a Mac Mini.

The performance of a Mini is close to the other options, with the added advantage that you can unplug it and set it up with whatever peripherals are available wherever you are, in just a few minutes.

As part of a system, the components can be up-dated or upgraded individually as your needs or desires dictate. It can be adapted as your needs change. With the other options, when up grading you have to replace the lot.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
So you think the users here are able to read your mind?
How do you expect a good advice without giving any information what you are supposed to do with the computer?

Seems to me if you are that disturbed by my post you could just not reply instead of being a troll. I chose to word my post how I did to get personal opinions on the two devices. If you would like to reply with a helpful answer I would be delighted! :rolleyes:

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Seems to me if you are that disturbed by my post you could just not reply instead of being a troll. I chose to word my post how I did to get personal opinions on the two devices. If you would like to reply with a helpful answer I would be delighted! :rolleyes:

I have to agree with him, you're looking for information that can be found in other threads, but you're ultimately asking for a comparison of very similar machines that simply have different uses. The iMac is similar in performance to the rMBP for a lot of tasks (read: many users won't know the difference), but one is locked to a desk and the other is not.

The reason that this thread should exist is for a specific use-case, which you haven't provided.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I have to agree with him, you're looking for information that can be found in other threads, but you're ultimately asking for a comparison of very similar machines that simply have different uses. The iMac is similar in performance to the rMBP for a lot of tasks (read: many users won't know the difference), but one is locked to a desk and the other is not.

The reason that this thread should exist is for a specific use-case, which you haven't provided.

Use case: My main machine. Basically the hub for all my music, photos, videos, and syncing device for my iDevices. The only reason I was thinking about a rMBP is because currently I have a MBA and an iMac and I could basically combine the two machines. I have all of my media on external drives so that is a major reason why I am considering the rMBP.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Why not both? I have both as they suit different purposes. But if I could only pick one, it would be the rMBP, hands down.

iMac is really only preferable if you don't need the portability or if you have some specific use case in mind (like gaming so you can get the faster GPU).

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Why not both? I have both as they suit different purposes. But if I could only pick one, it would be the rMBP, hands down.

iMac is really only preferable if you don't need the portability or if you have some specific use case in mind (like gaming so you can get the faster GPU).

Would love too but I don't have the money nor need for both. The rMBP is looking more and more favorable ATM because of the fact that I am in college and do need to travel often. More than likely I will wait until the next generation rMBPs though, only because I can get by half a year more with my current iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.