Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
This question is to People who own the new 15" Touch Bar rMBP. Are you guys happy and satisfied with the viewing experience on the 15" rMBP ? With the slightly Thick bezels of the 15" rMBP ?? I Mean Apple is still using a dated design with its rMBP when the Industry trend and design is a Laptop with a Slimmer Bezel, comparing the Apple 15" rMBP versus the Dell XPS 13" Design The Dell one looks Sleek and with a Wider Screen Real Estate I am sure it would be a Joy to view images and pictures on such a gorgeous screen ?

So all you 15" rMBP Owners did you ever wished that Perhaps maybe the 15" rMBP had slimmer bezels it would have given a better viewing experience ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So all you 15" rMBP Owners did you ever wished that Perhaps maybe the 15" rMBP had slimmer bezels it would have given a better viewing experience ?
I'm content with the bezels. I'd rather not have a camera placement like the Dell (nose cam), because of ultra thin bezels. I think we can have a too thin laptop, and likewise, too thin bezels.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Personally, I prefer displays with bezels since they provide a visual boundary. It’s also why they put pictures in frames

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I don't even think about the bezel. Very happy with the 2018 15" rMBP

It's the same thing that people thought before the minimum bezels notch iPhone X came out till then people were saying oh well ! We don't need a notch phone we are pretty happy with the design that Apple offers us, but the moment iPhone X came out people started believing that what a world of difference a bezel less or a minimum bezel design device makes !! It takes the viewing pleasure to all another level !!

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm coming from XPS and prefer the MBP screen bezels. They have identical footprint surface area (at least the 15 inch models) but the large bezel on the bottom of XPS makes the screen look not proportional, I'm not a big fan of that solution. I'd rather have nice and symmetrical MBP screen. And yeah, the camera at the bottom makes it unusable.
[doublepost=1539369150][/doublepost]
It's the same thing that people thought before the minimum bezels notch iPhone X came out till then people were saying oh well ! We don't need a notch phone we are pretty happy with the design that Apple offers us, but the moment iPhone X came out people started believing that what a world of difference a bezel less or a minimum bezel design device makes !! It takes the viewing pleasure to all another level !!
Thats a little of different story, iPhone X maximized screen/total size ratio, which is what you want. The "slim bezels" on XPS and other windows laptops don't really change it at all, since all that material is packed at the bottom. And if you look at something like gigabyte aero, is this is "slim" bezel? For me it is just huge and unsightly

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I'm coming from XPS and prefer the MBP screen bezels. They have identical footprint surface area (at least the 15 inch models) but the large bezel on the bottom of XPS makes the screen look not proportional, I'm not a big fan of that solution. I'd rather have nice and symmetrical MBP screen. And yeah, the camera at the bottom makes it unusable.

Yes Just had a look at the Dell XPS 13" The Bottom Bezel does look a little thicker infact a lot thicker. So I dont know how does that feel in experience ? But are you sure on the Camera that it is located down ? I could not see it from the attached picture ?

Dell XPS 13 Inch.jpg

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes Just had a look at the Dell XPS 13" The Bottom Bezel does look a little thicker infact a lot thicker. So I dont know how does that feel in experience ? But are you sure on the Camera that it is located down ? I could not see it from the attached picture ?

It feels ok, doesn't make a major difference for me, although I prefer the MBP, the strip at the bottom is not that large, but something as big as Aero would actually bother me. I only care about overall dimensions and they're more or less the same in case of 15 inch, the 13 inch XPS has still half an inch smaller depth even with this wide strip at the bottom. Yes, the camera is down there, looking right into your nostrils, and let me tell you, there is a jungle inside in my case. I had an external USB camera with me always, like in the old days, to use in case I had to video chat with someone.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong

View attachment 794524

Yup its on the lower bezel and you need to make sure your nose doesn't have anything in them when you're doing a video call...

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
But just having a Camera on the Bottom Bezel should not give it all the Negative Marks in the world.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
With nearly everyone using 720p or lower camera’s, I wouldn’t worry about whats up your nose ;).

haha! Yea was sort of joking. Still makes you more conscious than usual because the camera is down there. Had an XPS for a few months and thats what happened. I would lower my head more than usual to make sure I was facing the person/people I was speaking with.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But just having a Camera on the Bottom Bezel should not give it all the Negative Marks in the world.
Maybe, but its clear everyone hates it. The question is, how many folks use the camera. I probably wouldn't base my buying decision on the camera placement, but it will be one part of the overall equation.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I probably wouldn't base my buying decision on the camera, but it will be one part of the overall equation.

Exactly my point just having a camera on the bottom bezel would not rule out a device for me if it has all the other features that scores overs just one negative point, which is the camera alignment !!

Last edited:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't find the bezel that thick. I am happy with the machine, which is an upgrade from 2012 rMBP. It is unfortunate there isn't an Apple monitor that would provide a similar level of connectivity and interoperability as what was available for the previous rMBP model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.