15" rMBP Problems with 27" Thunderbolt Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmmiller20, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gmmiller20 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to a 15" rMBP from an order MBP. Very happy with everything accept I am having problems with the integration with the 27" Thunderbolt Monitor.

If I plug into the monitor in clam shell mode, the screen does not adjust to the 27" monitor scale. Essentially I get the 15" rMBP sizing/scaling on a 27" Monitor. It is very difficult to see. If I change the resolution of the monitor it makes the screen fuzzy/blurry. I have plugged the rMBP into a 24" Cinema Display and it works perfect. The sizing/scaling adjusts. It seems like there is a communication problem between the rMBP and the Thunderbolt Monitor.

Anyone experience this? Any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

2. bill phillips macrumors regular

i have two tb displays connected to a 15 inch retina, im sure i could help you, but Im a little confused about your question though.. Try opening the lid first, then power up your retina and only closing it once the thunderbolt lights up.. which resoloution are you using? That also might be the problem.

----------

personally i leave the retina at best for retina display resolution, but i set the thunderbolt to 1600x900. Ive found for me personally the 2650 makes the icons too small and its annoying. Ill only switch over to 2650 when im watching a video or something.

3. gmmiller20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bill

So with my previous Apple 24" LED monitor, when I plug it into my old macbook or this new rMBP, it scales the screen so the icons and apps are sized up. For whatever reason, when I plug into the Thunderbolt, the screen is small and annoying like you state. I have the resolution on the Thunderbolt set to best for Thunderbolt which is the 2560. I can lower the resolution but the screen gets fuzzy.

Have you plugged your 15" retina into another monitor?

4. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I've plugged my 15" RMBP into TB, HDMI, and DVI monitor. In each case the screen resolution is set to the native resolution for the panel in question. Typically I run one TB and one DVI at the same time and each runs natively.

If you want the screen to be crisp on the TB monitor, it will need to be 2560x1440. If you are using the Retina display at "best," then the jump from 1440 to 2560 is going to things smaller.

Were hoping that the rMBP would scale down a TB monitor to a lower resolution yet remain sharp like it does for the Retina display? As you've seen, that's not what it does.

Are you still within the return period for the TB monitor? Perhaps you could trade it in for a 1920x1080 27 HDMI monitor. It will give you larger text/icons and also be much cheaper.