15" rMBP purchase help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaveMike11, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DaveMike11 macrumors regular

Hi,

I need to purchase a 15" rMBP and I need some advice from MBP users here.

I decided to purchase my first macbook pro and i will go for the 15" rMBP. I have few more questions. My main uses are photo editing works with photoshop & Lightroom. I'm a photography Enthusiast & i dont earn money with it. I'm a IT consultant by profession so spend lot of time with computers.All these years I have been a windows pc user.

Here are my questions.

1. Do you think the lesser config of 15" rMBP 2.0GHZ quad core, 8GB RAM, 256GB would be good enough for my photoshop & LR works or do you recommend to get the 15" rMBP 2.6 GHZ quad core, 16GB & 512GB storage model ? I'm just trying to save money at the same time this is my first purchase so i wanted to choose a good one ?

2. Has anyone have any experience buying an refurbished 15" rMBP directly from apple? If i buy an refurbished there are some good savings upto $400? Do you recommend buying a refurbished vs new?

3. I have some student friends. Do you think buying a new 15" rMBP with apple education discounts would be cheaper or same price as refurbished ones from apple? If its coming to the same price I can get a new one.

4. I also need to get the applecare. I do see it costs $349 from apple whereas it costs $244 from B&H. Can i get the applecare separately from B&H and add it to my rMBP which i get it from apple ?

Thanks in advance for your time. I appreciate your help to clarify my questions.

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

In the uk students get 3 years AppleCare free.

Barney

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I am also a photographer. running LR, Pixelmator, Perfect Photo Suite, the Nike plugin collection and a few others. I would not purchase any rMBP with only 8MB of memory. I would only go quad core with 16GB.

Look at Apple refurbs. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

I think $2800 for a maxed out 2013 15" rMBP is a dang good price. You get warranty and can still get AppleCare (from B&H) for it.

Compare that to the AppleInsider price list. The loses price for the machine is $3171. The delta savings more than pays for AppleCare.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

How much is AppleCare for US students?

Barney

5. DaveMike11 thread starter macrumors regular

For students the applecare costs $239 in US.

6. DaveMike11 thread starter macrumors regular

7. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I would go with a refurb. If you go through the threads, you read nothing but good things about them. Moreover, my sister bought one and it is as good as new.

Contrary to my original position on this matter, I would try to get 16GB of RAM. It will prolong the life of your computer and boost its resale value down the line. Photoshop is a RAM guzzling program, particularly when you work with large files. Earlier today, there was the 15" base model with an upgrade to 16GB of RAM (as well as a higher clocked Haswell CPU) on the refurb list for under two thousand. Somebody scooped it up though. I don't necessarily recommend spending for the faster clocked Haswell chip, but keep returning to the refurb list for the base machine with the RAM upgrade only.

8. DaveMike11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions. May I know what configuration of 15" rMBP base model you saw for under $2000?
    Thanks

9. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Haswell i7 2.3ghz
    16GB RAM
    256GB PCIe SSD
    Iris Pro Graphics (no Nvidia 750m)

It was $1,949.

I saw this very configuration last week. It didn't last long then either. If you know you want it, better act fast.

10. DaveMike11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. Currently its out of stock.

How about the below 15" rMBP config for $2379 ?
    Haswell i7 2.6ghz
    16GB RAM
    512GB PCIe SSD
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

11. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yeah, somebody snatched up the aforementioned computer.

The configuration you listed is a great computer, but I think you're better off saving some money and going with this one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

12. DaveMike11 thread starter macrumors regular

13. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

No problem. Of all the 15" configurations, new or refurbished, that one offers the best value, in my opinion.