15" rMBP purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaelsviews, Apr 4, 2014.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

From other peoples knowledge and experience has Apple worked out all the screen issue's ? I believe the one we just got has an LG screen and we only use it for the basics.

Like another poster said , we're using it and are so far happy with it, but are with in the 14 day return cycle

Thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe they have, I'd put your rMBP through its paces and if it looks ok, then enjoy it :)

3. CTgreen macrumors newbie

I can't give any good info on whether or not such issues have been solved by Apple/LG or not, but I would definitely advise you to go ahead and run a few subjective tests to make sure you're happy with it before your return window closes.

Here's a simple way to test for image retention issues:
    http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

As far as the LG screens being discolored or whatever, I guess you gotta determine if it looks good to your eye for yourself. If it doesn't look bad to you, don't worry about it.

That said, I always check any new device with a screen by using some solid color slides... I like to use Keynote to create slides the exact resolution of the screen in question, but however you can fill your entire screen with a uniform image of one color works. I like to hit all the basics: white, grey(s), black, red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta, and brown(s).

Viewing the entire screen full of one solid color will make it easier for your eyes to pick up on any flaws that will ruin your experience later. Seeing all the different colors will help ensure you don't run into a "everything is fine until there is a lot of purple on the screen" (or whatever) type issues later on. Greys, in particular, are where backlight uniformity issues tend to become most obvious most of the time, at least to my eyes, so be sure to at least view a few shades (25%, 50%, and 75%).

Then look at a variety of other content. Look at a few more still images, but "complex" ones this time. If you wanna look at calibration images, go for it. Viewing some images that contain standard gradients wouldn't hurt. I prefer to just check out some pictures with lots of varied content; landscapes, portraits, still life studies, whatever. Go exploring on DeviantArt for a while; that site is great for viewing all kinds of different stuff, in addition to being quite enjoyable to wander around in for a while from time to time.

Lastly, just use your MacBook as you normally would. Watch some videos, just to make sure you don't notice any problems there; surf the forums here and a few other places (scrolling through text will often reveal screen issues when you're not looking for them); play some games if that's your thing.

Basically, aside from a few fairly basic evaluations you should do with any new product, just spend time with your new baby to make sure it's healthy. ;D

Congrats!

----------

Haha

Well said. You posted the TL;DR version of my post in the time it took me to get the way-too-wordy version typed out.

4. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you both for the fast reply's , it was just asked by my son also is the macbook air still having problems also, he's looking at the maxed out 13" one and I figured that since I had this post I was not sure to cross post to the Macbook Air group? He's been waiting and the last one he had he took back and opened the 2nd one and the same thing was it looked like it was not complete and the sales people couldn't get it to display properly either so he just got his money back. I was going to suggest waiting to see if they bring out a retina. Any and all feed back appreciated

Thank you again

5. CTgreen macrumors newbie

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but I will say this:

For me, at least, a Retina screen is a must. I'd be fine with a Retina MacBook Air, but I can't wait for Apple to release one. I've got things to do. :p

Just make sure you find the computer you want, and then be sure that you are satisfied with the unit you get. You are the one paying a pretty penny for these premium products, after all.

6. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Many pretty pennies and thank you for the response

7. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

For a company as big as Apple, the average defect percentage of products that get shipped in the millions, is about 1.4% to 1.8%.

Therefore the chances of you getting a faulty display is about 2 in 100.

Consider yourself lucky, I heard the playstation 4 had around 4% to 8%.

8. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Have never encountered any macbook retina screen that was discolored per-say. Some LG screens have a slight color tint on black backgrounds but the average person won't even realize it. Apparently some Samsungs have uneven yellowing as well. But as mentioned if you don't notice anything, no point in trying to find something.

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Only one sample, but I've heavily used an early 2013 15 inch rMBP with LG SA2 screen near full brightness for 12 months now (12 hour days seven days a week mostly photo, video, and web page editing). It its a beautiful screen without defect. I am thrilled to see my new 2014 model (late 2013 actually) also has an an LG screen, SJE1 rev now.

Use the machine, if you like it keep it. Don't worry, be happy :)