15" rMBP purchased in the last week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intothepolis, Apr 14, 2013.

1. intothepolis macrumors regular

Anyone purchase a 15" rMBP in the last week? Any issues with it? Wondering if Apple worked out the bugs before I go buy one. Thanks!

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I bought one 3 weeks ago today and so far it's been perfect. I also got lucky and got one with a Samsung screen.

3. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Bought a new 2013 on Friday, got an LG screen but no other issues to speak of.

LG seems to not display any image retention yet

4. intothepolis thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that puts one rumor I've read on this site to rest. There was another guy on here saying that all the new ones had Samsung screens.

5. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

I have custom built one coming weds, directly from china - will report back once it is in.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There have been a few of us correcting that piece of miss information. All the LGs seem to be rev 2, however.

7. intothepolis thread starter macrumors regular

When you say rev 2, is that because people are reporting different screen models coming in?

8. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Yes, I too have a rev 2 and have zero image retention problems.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have had one for 1 week, Samsung screen. No prob's.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

To be clear, people have been reporting either the same old Samsung model display or the LG rev SA2 that I think began to ship in December. In about the same statistics as its been for months.

Since IR can take awhile to show up, folks are not very confident that the SA2 is less prone to it. I've had my SA2 for four weeks without issue.

11. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

how do you guys know if you have a rev 2 LG screen?

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

When you run the terminal command, it will have a SA2 instead of a SA1 in the model identifier.

I don't think anyone besides apple knows what bumped the number, folks here are assuming its a rev 2 screen. No one knows if there was any technical changes beside the numbering :)

The wishful thinkers are hoping the screen is less susceptible to IR.

13. intothepolis thread starter macrumors regular

It really bothers me that Apple hasn't at least publicly acknowledged a problem.

14. leman macrumors 604

Well, I have an original rMBP with an LG screen - no image retention after six month. There is no information to estimate how many LG displays develop it in the first place.

15. Kushp14 macrumors regular

One month -samsung no issues , if you get an LG and have a issue you can always exchange it

16. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Ok, just got my rMBP, hot off the press in china - 15 incher - got a samsung panel and samsung SSD 256.

All is perfect!

17. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Why does it bother you? If you have IR (I did), bring it in, they'll replace it! Simple. Easy, and my new display is made by Samsung. I don't think it's been 'proven' that ALL LG displays have or will develop IR

J

18. maladroit macrumors member

I purchased a 15 inch rMPB about four weeks ago. It's got an LG rev. 1 screen and I'm not seeing any issues of image retention.

19. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I just met with a Director and he had with him a 2013 15" rMBP with a Samsung screen, 512 Gb, 16 Gb ram AND the 3 yr AppleCare that he got on a filmmaker s discount last week for $1,650. If I could find a deal like that I would forget about Haswell and JUMP on it. Oh, and so far it's flawless

20. Radiating macrumors 65816

Apple worked out the bugs a long long time ago. I've owned six Retinas, only the first one ever had problems.

21. maxosx macrumors 68020

There's no such thing as a perfect tech device, laptop, desktop, etc. Just excellent one's that have most of the bugs worked out.

This close to a refresh, I would seriously encourage you to wait. I plan on selling my current 15" MBPr as soon as I have a feel for approx when the second generation models are coming.

They (the 2nd gen) are always, far better. That's my experience many time over, after many years as a loyal Apple customer. I am looking forward to all the little improvements Apple makes, plus rumor of a new design is just extra icing on the cake.

----------

I understand how you feel. I had to put up with runaway fans for a month.

Fortunately Apple fixed it with an update, but they don't always do that. It's just how Apple is.

Arrogant, uninterested in keeping customers informed, and independent. It's just something I've come to expect and accept, like it or not. It's AppleLand :)