15" rMBP ram question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oridus, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Oridus macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be buying a rMBP this week and can't decide about my hd/ram setup.

I get a discount through my work for apple products, and so ill be going with a 15" 2.7 ghz rMBP. I can't decide though if I want 16gb of ram and 256gb ssd or 8gb ram and 512gb ssd (to keep my price under 3k including AppleCare and a couple adapters and a smart stand after tax)

Ill be using this primarily for phot and video editing, some gaming but not my primary machine for gaming... I have my pc for that. I will be running windows 7 on it through boot camp some times as well. My video editing will be done on iMovie and adobe premier.

As far as storage, I do intend on having external hard drives for most of my files, I just didn't know if 256gb is going to push it for someone who intends on putting windows 7 on there with a few games on that partition as well. Any insight?

P.s. I do intend on refreshing my purchase in 3 years when AppleCare is up so I don't know if that factors in to making a decision between 8 and 16 gigs of ram

2. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

GOT to max out that ram. It's a auto-no brainer. Need that 512 as well. I would hold out on that Apple care for 360 days and get the ultimate set up instead. OR, just don't get the 2.7. Get the 2.4, you'll never know the difference except maybe it won't get quite as hot.

3. Oridus thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can add apple care within the first year? I was thinking it was only the first 30 days like the iPhone.

4. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

MAX your RAM! You can always get an external HD later. You can't upgrade the RAM

5. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Oridus, I would personally max out the RAM instead of the SSD. You can always pick up an external drive and run it through USB 3 or Thuunderbolt and be just as happy. The ram is soldered and cant be upgraded ever so I would absolutely get the RAM upgrade. As far as Apple Care goes, you have up to 1 year from the original purchase date to purchase Apple Care.

6. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

you can upgrade the SSD later, aftermarket...
    just wait for the prices to go down.

RAM, you can't :rolleyes:

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Just to note that if you don't buy applecare with the laptop, you will have to bring the laptop into an Apple store for inspection whenever you do decide to purchase applecare later. Applecare also covers accessories like time capsules and AEBS.

Maxing out the RAM should be your highest priority.

You could upgrade the drive later, but currently its less money to buy the laptop with the maximum SSD size than to upgrade later, although upgrading later you end up with an extra drive as a consolation prize.

If your choice is max SSD vs applecare now, I'd go for more SSD. You can do a lot with 256GB, but 512 gives you much more wiggle room. I have 768 and love it. If you run short on internal drive space, there are 64 and maybe 128 GB SD cards reasonably priced. Not near SSD speeds but more portable than a portable USB drive.

Its a judgement call, however... and your call.

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

No, that's only for iPhones, and only if you purchase AppleCare+.

If you purchase the laptop and AppleCare directly from Apple no extra steps are required, even if you don't by them at the same time. But if you select AppleCare as an option when purchasing the laptop, it will be enrolled automatically, so it's the easiest option. If you buy AppleCare later you have to register it yourself.

AppleCare for laptops can be bought from anywhere, and registered online. Only thing you have to know is, that if you have not purchased your laptop or the AppleCare directly from Apple, you might be required to send a copy of your receipt (a photo as an e-mail attachment is ok) when you register the warranty.

That's what I had to do anyway, my laptop was purchased new from a third party store, and I bought my AppleCare from friend who had bought it a year earlier but forgot to register it. I snapped a photo of the laptops receipt, along with the AppleCare package with its codes visible, sent it to Apple, and within two hours I received an e-mail confirmation that the package was registered.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was under the impression that the 2.7GHz configuration now comes with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD standard.

If you were deciding between the three, I'd go for the 2.4GHz model with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I know you can upgrade your SSD later, but it's a hassle.

10. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

You can configure the base 15" Retina model in any way you want. The only reason there are two standard configurations is so that Apple doesn't have to custom-build a higher-spec model that they determined to be fairly common.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see there has been some changes. Back when I bought my computer, for the base model you could not configure it with 16GB of RAM nor with a 512GB SSD; You had to pick the higher end configuration (with faster CPU) to get those upgrades.

12. Oridus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, this is fantastic help guys. I've decided to purchase the 2.7, 16gb ram and 512ssd.

I'll get the AppleCare in a few months, so I can stay under budget now. Price isn't that bad:

[​IMG]

That way I won't feel guilty of buying now instead of the refresh, because in all reality the refresh isn't going to give performance increases of 100% or annoying close and I need the MacBook sooner than later.

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That is a good deal, looks like you are saving $225 :)

14. Oridus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's not bad. Work discount definitely helps :)

15. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I bought the same machine you bought for 2,200 tax included ;). But that price is still a fair price. Enjoy the machine!

16. Oridus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not trying to be an ass, but what good does that do to gloat unless you've got something to share on how to get that price as well? What purpose does it serve?

17. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Really, I'd like to know that too.

18. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

My point to that guys was that you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I actually ordered around 80 machines for higher education which is how I got such a steep discount. But to be honest guys, I had scoured eBay many days in a row and many people are offering that specific machines brand new at that price. I have also seen that particular machine go for as little as 1,900! So trust me, I didn't get the best deal out there but there is always a better deal elsewhere. I was not trying to be rude or disrespectul in anyway i was ony trying to point it out that sometimes You just have to look around.

19. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

He probably purchased it through an Apple employee...

20. AppleChampagne macrumors member

It's the purpose of being a one up man ass... That is all...

I got my macbook for £1200 but I don't feel that need to better the next man.. Anyone that buys this computer is a judge of the highest order no matter what you pay, fact!

----------

If that post wasn't disrespectful then I do not know what is

21. Oridus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I personally have this thing about buying expensive electronics from eBay. I know most is on the up and up, but I don't feel like dealing with disputes if something does go wrong. I prefer to purchase from retailers for purchases like this so j can walk in and get things taken care of if absolutely needed, no dispute process needed.

22. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Well my sincere apologies then. I was only trying to assist that's all.

----------

I totally agree with this. eBay or any online service like that can be kind of sketchy with people and disputes and what not but for the price, it was hard not too. So I can see your point on that.

23. AppleChampagne macrumors member

No worries mate, by reneging on that comment you showed class;)

There are some completely moronic people here that constantly try and better the next man instead of progressing discussion. Usually they are the failures in life and the writers of very poor thesis' lol;)

24. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I totally understand your point. My sole intention to even come onto the forums is to assist people in whatever way I can. If you look at every single post of mine, it follows that same trend. Im not here to better up anyone and i did mean my apologies. Thank you for acknowledging that.

25. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I would recommend getting the RAM as well. However, as others are mentioning...get the 2.7Ghz/512GB SSD/16GB RAM setup notebook from eBay. Also, get the applecare from B&H or eBay as well. It will be a $100 cheaper.