15" rMBP screen flickering - have to replace, but cant be without laptop for long

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JacinTatt, Apr 25, 2013.

1. JacinTatt macrumors member

Hi MR,

Back when the 15" retina Macbook Pros were announced, I ordered one right away, and up until right now it's been a spectacular machine and have loved using it. Last night, however, I started getting screen flickering, and again today it's started again.

I called up Apple and they said it's likely it will need to go in for repair, however he said it would be several days. I really cannot be without this laptop for several days as it is my only work computer presently and I need it almost every day.

Does anyone have advice for what I can do? The guy on the phone said Apple doesn't do loan computers while it's in for repair.

Is there anything I can do to get this issue fixed without needing to go days at a time without a computer?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Even if there was something you could do you wouldn't want to because it might void your warranty.

Does no one have a laptop you can borrow?

3. JacinTatt thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately not. Even if they did, it wouldn't be very useful as my work requires software that my friends don't have.

4. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

It sounds like they are going to ship it out, ask if they can fix it locally without shipping it out. I had mine repaired for the same reason. They replaced the logic board once and the lcd twice. Make sure you have them go over the condition of your mac before you leave it with them. I got a new chip in the unibody when I received mine after the repair.

----------

My mbpr still flickers, I think it is in my time machine backup. Im going to have to start from a fresh os.

5. JacinTatt thread starter macrumors member

Do you think there would be any chance of them ordering a replacement unit and letting me keep using my defective one until the new one comes? Then get my data migrated?

It's basically the only thing I can think of that is manageable at the moment.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could potentially safe yourself some hassle by installing a clean OS on an external target, for instance,, install OS X on a USB stick, minimum 8 GB and then startup from the USB stick, it will be slow but if there is no flickering there you know it is your normal OS which causes your issues.
    You could also run Apple Hardware Test to see if there are any HW related problems, AHT is not waterproof though, even when there are no Errors it could still have problems.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy another machine, maybe an Air. You could give it back when yours comes back from repair, unless you decide to keep it so you have a backup ;)

8. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I bought a nice 09 imac for 365 from craigslist while my mbpr was out for repair, then sold it for 600 on craigslist.

9. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Its a good thing we pay so much money for something we think is the best and ends up having so many problems. I had the screen flicker issue. I did the recent update it went away. Funny thing about the screen flicker with my mbpr is that i think it has to do with my internet connection at my house...i know that sounds totally absurd but here is my evidence

- use mac at work all day no screen flicker
    -been out of country for multiple weeks no screen flicker
    -use my mac at friends houses and star bucks no screen flicker

Come home ( att verse) once in a while my screen flickers like crazy

Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? After all the thinking is it possible the internet signal or bandwith or something with my home connection causes it to flicker?

Oh by the way it ONLY happens with im on Safari!!!

10. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you have a credit card just buy a new 15"rmbp and use it while your old computer gets fixed , you get 14 days to return it no questioned asked