15" rMBP - Spilt Liquid - Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimz321, Sep 30, 2013.

1. nimz321 macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have had my refurbished rMBP for about 3-4 months now and I truly love it to pieces. I have the 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD machine.

The other day during a holiday in Cornwall, a friend of mine accidentally spilt some Elderflower Wine on my macbook. He luckily managed to catch a lot of the spillage back in the glass in relatively smooth manoeuvre. However there was a splash on my keyboard and screen. After some very quick reactions, we held the macbook at an angle to minimise the amount of liquid that would seep in (after turning the macbook off). We then used a variety of clothes to dry off any visible liquid. After a good 20 minutes of TLC and blowing any trapped liquid out from sides of the keys, followed by wiping it away. It seemed fine.

Stupidly, I powered it up almost instantly after drying it out and to my amazement it worked just fine. It's now been approximately 5 days and my macbook is still running smoothly. All the keys appear to still work and the backlighting on the keys is still working as normal.

After getting back home and to a internet connection, I have done some research which suggests that liquid contact can result in corrosion and damage which may affect my computer at a later stage.

I do feel very lucky that my computer seems to have narrowly avoided completely dying, however I would really appreciate it if any one could please shed some light on what I should do next please?

I really can't afford to risk having my computer die on me in the future as I use it everyday for work and can not afford a replacement. However nothing appears to be wrong with it at the moment so I don't know what to say or ask for at my local apple store.

I really do hope the liquid contact indicators are still intact because the laptop currently works just fine. Is there any way to check this without voiding my applecare?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

N

p.s - The trackpad and all the gestures also appear to work as normal.

2. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Don't worry. Consider yourself lucky.

What's up with all the spilt Wine over the past few weeks? Seems like a trend.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

1. Back up now.
    2. become religious of not already and pray it will work out ok.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

3. Get yourself a good keyboard protector, and/or

4. New friends.