15 RMBP to 13 RMBP, Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chaoticfury09, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Chaoticfury09 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Got a quick question for you and I apologize if it sounds stupid. I just switched from a retina 15" RMBP to a 13" (Being Delivered Today) and just wanted to know if I could restore my backup from the 15 onto the 13. The only reason I wasn't sure is because they are diferent hardware configurations and I wasn't sure if this was going to mess anything up.

The other question is, do I do it from the Apple R menu on bootup or through the initial set up where it asks you about migrating data.

Thanks very much.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes, you can.

You can either "Restore" from your Time Machine backup or use Migration Assistant.

"Restore" essentially copies everything, including the OS; while Migration Assistant copies applications, your files, etc.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would just use data migration

It will be fine from any time machine backup or from a computer to computer connection....

If you are on different OS's then you may have an issue with 3rd party app compatability but if they are both on yosemite you can just restore from time machine backup and get your computer back exactly the same...

4. Chaoticfury09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I was worried the hardware configuration would mess things up, but if nothing will change I will just use the Apple R menu to restore it from time machine and get it back exactly the way it was. They were both running the latest version of Yosemite.

Will I see a big difference between restoring over ethernet or wireless AC?

5. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes. The Ethernet will probably be a lot faster.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No Idea

I haven't used AC wifi, the ethernet was always the sensible option but with AC wireless it might not make too much difference....