Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Has anyone went from a 15" rMBP to a 13" MacBook Air? I have a 15" rMBP and having some OCD issues with the backlight bleeding on a LG SJA2 display. Yes, I have taken into my local Apple store and they have said it was within Apple's acceptable range for backlight bleeding. BTW, it is a new display, two weeks old. Back to my question; I am wondering how big of a difference you saw for just normal use, as in, web browsing, light photo editing and movie viewing.

thanks
T

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
I don't know how you could go to a non-retina display after getting used to retina. I'd at least go for a 13" rMBP.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I don't know how you could go to a non-retina display after getting used to retina. I'd at least go for a 13" rMBP.

That's why I am asking. I don't think I could either. I am just tired of the retina hassle of replacing the display once a year. This is the third since I bought it in 2012. I know it isn't always this way with the retina just my experience thus far. The first was for severe ghosting on an original LG display. The second was a Samsung that produced a "white spot" of died pixels. The third is a LG SJA2 that is bleeding which causes me not to want to view anything in full screen that has a dark background. More than likely I will keep it. Like I said, it's an OCD issue on my part.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
That's why I am asking. I don't think I could either. I am just tired of the retina hassle of replacing the display once a year. This is the third since I bought it in 2012. I know it isn't always this way with the retina just my experience thus far. The first was for severe ghosting on an original LG display. The second was a Samsung that produced a "white spot" of died pixels. The third is a LG SJA2 that is bleeding which causes me not to want to view anything in full screen that has a dark background. More than likely I will keep it. Like I said, it's an OCD issue on my part.

I was using my wife's 13 inch air for awhile while my MBBr was getting repaired. Honestly, I did not miss the retina display that much. Sure it was noticeable that the Air wasn't retina but using it again (I'd had an Air since 2011 before my switch to the MBPr) was an enjoyable experience. I'd go to an Apple store and use an Air for 20-30 minutes. You might find that it's the right computer for you.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Going backwards from retina, you will regret every second. My father has a nice display for his Mac mini. It's about 100x better than his previous display. However, going from my retina to that, it's night/day. I can see every pixel. I will never buy another computer without HiDPI. Ever

Also, I had a 15" non-retina, unibody MBP, then went to the 13" Air. It actually wasn't that bad. I used to have the 17" MBP, and when the 17" was 1680 resolution, the display was great. They then moved to 1920, and my friend had one. horrible. Everything was just too damn small. I loved that 1680 on the 17". It was one of the major reasons I never bought the last gen 17".

Last edited by a moderator:

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Going backwards from retina, you will regret every second. My father has a nice display for his Mac mini. It's about 100x better than his previous display. However, going from my retina to that, it's night/day. I can see every pixel. I will never buy another computer without HiDPI. Ever
Sorry bud, but his post is 14 months old - I think he's made is move.

Judging from his signature he's stuck with the Pro thankfully.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Sorry bud, but his post is 14 months old - I think he's made is move.

Judging from his signature he's stuck with the Pro thankfully.

And that means what? If I found that link, others who DO have the same issue NOW could find it. MR has lots of bandwidth... a few new posts on a 14 month old thread won't hurt anyone.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
And that means what? If I found that link, others who DO have the same issue NOW could find it. MR has lots of bandwidth... a few new posts on a 14 month old thread won't hurt anyone.
Crikey mate, no need to take it personally or abuse the caps-lock key - given the tense you were using in your comment it was clear you weren't aware of the age of the OP ("you will regret" etc), I was just making sure you were aware of it.

I appreciate it won't do any harm - but it won't directly benefit the OP's singular issue which your response was aimed towards. Whilst I appreciate others may find this thread as a source of information, let's not pretend that finding a thread on the benefits of Retina/HiDPI displays over Apple's older displays is something difficult to find on MR.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Crikey mate, no need to take it personally or abuse the caps-lock key - given the tense you were using in your comment it was clear you weren't aware of the age of the OP ("you will regret" etc), I was just making sure you were aware of it.

I appreciate it won't do any harm - but it won't directly benefit the OP's singular issue which your response was aimed towards. Whilst I appreciate others may find this thread as a source of information, let's not pretend that finding a thread on the benefits of Retina/HiDPI displays over Apple's older displays is something difficult to find on MR.

Damn, I've been given a citation by the "Thread Police." I'm sorry assifer :)

No, I didn't know it was an old post. I was responding to a current post, then saw the link below. I never check dates since I never go into the "archive" of the forum, and just respond to current stuff, figuring it was current. I'll continue to not check dates, and I expect you to give me grief when I don't!

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Damn, I've been given a citation by the "Thread Police." I'm sorry assifer :)

No, I didn't know it was an old post. I was responding to a current post, then saw the link below. I never check dates since I never go into the "archive" of the forum, and just respond to current stuff, figuring it was current. I'll continue to not check dates, and I expect you to give me grief when I don't!

What's an assifer? All I've found Jennifer Lopez.

Calm it mate, I was trying to do you a favour - no need to take it on the chin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.