15" rMBP- trackpad issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tsuchiya, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Today I noticed the trackpad on my 15" rMBP wasn't fully pressing down when I click on the left side. Overall it is still responding to input, but the travel of the "click" is shallow. It wasn't like this before, and is worlds apart from the right side of the trackpad which still making a satisfying sound when you press down.

I've spoken with AppleCare and they've just said I should make an appointment, which I can't do for the next 6 days or so as my local stores are fully booked.

Anyone have any experience with something similar?

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Make the appointment even if it's above 6 days! Get it checked quick, that's the best way to go.

Track pad and battery are together. I have a feeling you may have a bloating battery. If it's that case, then it's best Apple sees it and replace the casing + battery for you.

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Make the appointment now for next week.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah the last machine I had this happen in was a non-Retina MBP and the battery was bulging. That is probably not safe. If a fault is found in either the battery or trackpad, the entire top case (palm rests, keyboard, trackpad and battery) will be replaced because the battery is glued in such a way that nothing on that top case can be replaced.

5. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

The battery seems to be working fine FWIW, so I'm guessing the mechanism for the trackpad itself is faulty, or simply that something has managed to slip between the narrow gap around the trackpad and has gotten stuck underneath.

Either way, it sounds like a big job to resolve. Looking at the iFixit teardown, you have to rip the entire machine apart to get to the trackpad.

Booked an appointment for next week.

6. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

The battery could still be defective. If a single cell is broken, it'd still work, but there could be hydrogen buildup in one of the cells.

7. SkimMilk168, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I'd stop charging it til the issue is fixed. You never know when that particular cell can't take it and just explode.
    The whole hand rest area is battery, and if it were to explode, the damage can be really bad.

Here's an article for you to read.