15" RMBP vs 13"MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cramazing, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

I'm torn as to what to do with my machines. I have a 2013 15" RMBP and just ordered a 2013 13" MBA. I felt the 15" RMBP was just a complete waste for me as all I mainly do is email, browsing, and iTunes. Therefore why i purchase the new 13" MBA as it should fix all my needs. The only problem is that I am so used to Retina and how beautiful looking at that screen is that when I look at the regular screen im like "What the ^%(*&^(!" I know a retina requires some power and a lot of battery life to drive the screen and it wouldnt fit the bill on a MBA, but come on Apple!!

so i cant decide if a should sell my RMBP and pocket some extra cash, return the MBA and the decade old screen, or just keep both until i decide what to do...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The major reason for a rMBP is the screen and if its important to you, regardless if you read emails or surf the web, should be reason enough.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Keep both for a month or so. If you can adjust to the screen of the air in that time, then sell the pro. If you cannot, return the air. Why did you get the air anyway? battery life or portability? Or you just thought the rMBP was overkill for your needs?

4. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

yea im a person of reason and i know between whats wrong and right.
    although money isnt an issue, i cant make justice of me using a $3,000 laptop when i can do the same thing on a $500 machine, but i love Apple and their products, so I felt the Air was the best for my usage.

I also forgot to mention, I use the 27in TB display at home so most of the time the RMBP is in clamshell mode, which makes it even more sense for me, but that moment when i do use the laptop solely on its own, its a thing of beautiful..

ahhh 1st world problems...

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Haha tell me about it. Well if the retina is in clamshell mode most of the time, then its display kind of isnt a factor in it anymore right?

Do you know what your future holds? If you are positive that you wont get into any kind of strenuous activity, such as video editing, 3d modeling, or any of that stuff, then I would suggest keeping the air. If you think there is a possibility you will be doing more CPU/GPU heavy tasks, then I'd recommend ditching the air. I personally like having that extra kick, just in case. Do you notice any difference in processing speeds?

6. eloplayspolo macrumors newbie

sell them both and get the new 13" rMBP when it is released.

7. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

You should've played with both at the store and see which one was more convenient for you.

if you really love the 13" screen and love retina

i highly recommend the 13'' retina mac

8. dazey macrumors 6502

If you carry it around a lot, then the air is great. I have an old 15" and when it was my main machine, it worked out OK but I wouldn't go back to carrying one around daily again. I have a mac pro as well, so my air is for portability and for that they are perfect.
    I would struggle to have an air as my only machine though.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

How about sell both and get the 13" rMBP? That way you don't miss retina display, and you also don't dig your wallet too deep since it costs rather close to an MBA. And it weighs almost the same too if you can appreciate the portability.

Yes, spending $3000 for Facebook machine is kind of :eek:

10. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I'm in the same boat. I moved from a 13" MBA to a 15" rMBP and I certainly don't need the "power." But, the bigger, and nicer, screen is a real plus. Also, the keyboard has a better feel on the rMBP.

So, if you're like me and just prefer the rMBP whether you "need" it or not, enjoy!

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I use the TBD and dock it too while at a desk. I had the same thought as you but I would just keep the retina. Too much hassle to buy/sell and lose money on something you barely just got.

12. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

this is becoming very hard to decide as i have been playing with the Air more to get use to it. Overall, when it is connected to my TB display, i really dont notice much of a difference, the only slight difference is the graphics, clearly the RMBP has a better GPU than the air and it shows a little on the TBD.

since i mention that i do very light stuff like browsing, itunes and all that i really cant tell in terms of processing, everything opens just as fast, app opens very quickly, i have usually 3-4GB free on the air (i have 8) and about 8-9 gb free in the RMBP (have 16) theres a lot of inactive ram going on when im using my machines, i dont know why.

Pros for the Air, i love it, ive always like the 13" machine, my first Mac was a 13" MBP, its super light, i can carry it around without noticing it in my bag or even hands.

Cons - the damn screen, i think Apple really fail here, although having a retina screen wouldve been the perfect machine but they couldve atleast done some kind of upgrade to this, when i am using it without the TBD, my eyes just starts to hurt

as of right now i really dont know what to do, i love the RMBP, the screen is state of the art amazing, but its a complete waste of money, its like buying a Porsche only to drive it in NYC rush hour everyday.

one thing i might consider is sell the 15" and use the Air for now and see what Apple does when they release the new 13" RMBP

for now i will continue to have both and hopefully make a decision sooner rather than later.

13. lagisibuk macrumors 6502