15 rMBP vs 13 rMBP vs 13 Air - Size Comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Just in case anyone thought it might be handy. I'm trying to decide if I want to try out one of the new retina MBPs for a while or not. Picked up both to test. Been using a 13" Air for a while now and just updated this one to Haswell a few months back.

I actually had no idea the 13 rMBP was smaller than the Air (doesn't taper, but still). Very noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Torn between the 13" & 15"... need to get my order placed in next week or two.

Decisions, Decisions.

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Torn between all three of these stupid things...hate these decisions. Love my Air and I swore 2 years ago I'd never have anything but a 15" Pro. Now I find it hard to go back, but the new 15 rMBP is nice.

The form factor of the 13 rMBP is really darn nice though too, just don't understand why it doesn't have Iris Pro and a damn quad-core chip? Why is my 13" Air performing the same if not better in some benchmarks over my "Pro" machine?

Retina is nice too, but this little Air display has grown on me a bit as well. Bah, dang you Apple as usual. :confused:

4. mscice macrumors regular

Thanks for the images, 13" is best bang for the buck, and portable as hell :)

cheers

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I almost purchased a 13" Haswell Air myself, but it's too thin/fragile for me. I don't feel like it would last me 3-4 years. (I take care of my things, but it just seems way too fragile)

I currently have a late 2009 13" cMBP, and the screen is not cutting it anymore since getting a 5s (I keep my brightness all the way up).

I really like what the 15" has to offer, BUT, I often use my MBP in bed, with it on my stomach/chest, and I think the 15" would be too big to use in bed, comfortably.. LOL

I will more than likely end up getting the 13" rMBP... just waiting for a few more people to get theirs in hand, before I submit my order.

6. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I take care of mine but it's not babied...they're pretty solid. Perhaps not as solid as the MBP but it's not fragile.

That's totally what she said I'm sure :D

But yeah, it would work, but 13" definitely more "nimble" there.

I would say it really comes down to the GPU and if you truly need a quad-core for CPU intensive tasks, which 99% of folks here don't, though they think otherwise. :eek: Me included.

----------

Well seeing as how my 13" Haswell Air is performing as well or better than the new 13" MBP, I'm not sure it's the best bang for the buck actually. But the screen is nice :)

7. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I already talked myself out of maxing ram to 16gb (which I would probably NEVER use/need).:confused:

8. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Now that is debatable...probably more important in the long run than CPU. Need for discrete GPU is pretty clear cut yes or no, but if you'll plan to keep this machine more than 2-3 years I'd recommend going with 16GB now since you can't upgrade.

Like I said, won't impact you now for the vast vast majority of tasks but could be handy down the road.

9. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

:eek:

10. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Something I said? :confused:

11. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Yes and no. lol

I already talked myself out of needing 16gb of Ram, but now i'm thinking I might as well for $200.00 more. :D

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

The difference in footprints between the 13 rMBP and Air are due to the need for a wider bezel on the thiner screen of the Air. Without that bezel the aluminum would be much more prone to deforming and then impact the screen. It's a tradeoff. For me the decision was easy because I simply cannot work effectively day-in and day-out on anything smaller than 15". I DO have a 13" 2010 Air with a paltry 128GB SSD that I use for traveling and coffee shops – only work on that bad boy.

13. covertash macrumors member

It's likely because your Air's i7 has a higher Turbo frequency than the 13" MBP's i5. ;)