15" rMBP W/4G

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjeff8, Mar 4, 2013.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

As I've stated many times I will be buying a 15" rMBP when the 2nd generation/Haswell comes out. I sure would like to see 4G come to the MacBook Pro. Any of you see this ever happening? After all, the MacBook Pro IS a mobile device

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Carrying an iPhone with Personal Hotspot on in your pocket works wonders.

3. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That's because a chrome book is crap without 24/7 access to the interwebz. :D

You don't want this on a mac. Seriously... your data usage will be off the charts.

5. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Alright. Lets get back to the hotspot thing. If I pay to make my iPhone a hotspot center, then my laptop could piggyback on it right? So...My iPhone is grandfathered in with AT&T for unlimited data. So would that unlimited data thing Cary over to my hotspot connected devices?

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I use my laptop for 4 hours a day while commuting. I'd love this. Used to have it in my Dell and Lenovo laptops for Years. Doubt it's gonna happen. I just use a mifi. Handy for my other devices too. I only use iPhone tethering in a pinch. It sucks the battery hard and makes the phone way hot. Also, Verizon stinks with the whole no vice and data at the same time thing.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't think you can use the hotspot feature with an unlimited data plan on AT&T, or if you can it will have it's own cap (2GB if I recall correctly).

I think that the main reason that Apple hasn't done this is because they sell their Macs all over the world. It takes 3 iPhone 5 models to cover all the various 2G, 3G, and LTE bands that it supports, and I'm not sure that Apple would sell enough of the cellular Macbooks to make it worth producing 3 extra versions of each model.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except either you suffer battery life on your computer from tethering or your iPhone dies before lunch.

Jailbreak it and buy MiWi. Just don't abuse it.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No. (At least depending on the carrier).

Any change you make to your existing contract nullifies your unlimited data plan. People like you are an anomaly the carriers want to get rid of. They want no unlimited data plans and will basically wait you out. One day you'll die. :)

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

VZW unlimited 4g data/ tether checkin in...

zero need for any laptop to have an LTE antenna.

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

As one of the few Sprint subscribers to enjoy their LTE service, and as a customer of a company which (for the time being) embraces the idea of unlimited service, I am obligated to point and laugh at all the suckers who got stuck with tiered service.

The downside is that every time I drop a call I shed a single tear for my days of unlimited on Verizon. Alas, it was not to last.

As to the topic at hand: Apple has never put mobile broadband cards in their laptops. I could only speculate as to the reason, but I will say that with all of the major U.S. carriers and almost all the higher quality ones worldwide adopting LTE data, making a modem that works for the majority of their customers would be less of a chore now than in the past.

The Dell Latitude 6420 I was given for work has a WiMax card built in. I got to use it twice before the service was dropped due to lack of coverage. I could replace the minicard, but honestly, why bother?