15" RMBP - weight/travel thoughts.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgbr, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Just looking for feedback from users who have backpacked to/from work , sofa, bed, on the train etc that sort of thing on how they found traveling with the 15" RMBP is?

I'm considering it as I need power and Mac Pro replacement but machine goes most places with me (can't stand the 13" and not powerful
    Enough)

How well in medium/large rucksacks does it fit? How about when using it on transport ?

Sometimes I have to be at conferences/lecturers working away on lap for instance and then putting it in my backpack onto the next event etc.

It's hard to gauge lightness and thinness. Considering my last MBP experience was a 200715inch.

Thanks

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

going from a 2007 you will notice a huge difference, so so so much thinner ,Mine goes with me a lot of places and its in a sleeve then my backpack and I have zero complaints.

3. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

From 2012 cMBP to 2012 rMBP is a spectacular upgrade.

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

I bought it for exactly that. Mac Pro replacement.
    Had a 2008 unibody MBP that was cumbersome to lug around. I wanted to get a 13", but it didn't have firewire in the first iteration. I waited for the 13" retina if it would have a quadcore cpu, but it didn't. So i tried the retina 15" and it feels as carrying the old model 13".

The size feels like a 14"-14.5" compared to old 13" and 15".

5. anarti macrumors regular

I carry it around in my Swiss Gear backback, retina is very light, I don't have an impression that I actually carry my 15" laptop:)

Powerful as Mac Pro but in the backpack - that's what I call a sweat spot:)

6. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Its too heavy and big for me to carry around the whole day or even for 15 minutes. I am planning on getting a tablet for traveling. I wouldn't recommend any laptop at all for traveling.

But really since you said that you cant stand 13" and you need the power of the 15". then this is a no brainer because there is not a single 15" laptop that is thinner and lighter than the RMBP15.

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Considering my backpack weighs 70+ lbs, the laptop is just a drop in the bucket. I have no issues carting it around from place to place but I wouldn't open it up on an airplane and I don't usually use it in my lap.

I have an 11" MBA for extreme portability - lap, airplane, datacenter racks. Then if i need power, I can SSH into the 15" rMBP back at my desk/conference room table/etc.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

light

I went from a 2008 15" MBP to the 2012 rMBP 15", it is a really nice move. It's not an AIR, but it is and feels very light and nimble. Nice thing too is that for most of my out and about, I don't take a charger since it will last about 5.5-7 hours or normal usage. That gets me about a whole day.

9. dma550 macrumors 6502

I feel this is the best laptop I have ever had for my moderate travel. Before it though I was carrying around an alienware m17X with it's 200watt 3lb brick!

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I just went from a 15 inch retina to a 13 inch retina and it is a very noticeable difference. So much lighter and easier to transport.

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

I had difficulties holding my last 2011 MBP 15" with one hand.

But I can comfortably hold my rMBP 15" with one hand while operating it with the other.

So the computer is not just on my lap, I even use it while standing occasionally.

In terms of traveling, I lug this computer with me almost every day... in my messenger bag. Considering what else I have in there (notebook, camera, phone, chargers, power bricks, etc...), the computer is merely a fraction of the weight. And I can walk for miles (literally did so many times now) with all that stuff.

I haven't tried using it on an airplane, but I'll be doing so in a few months.