15" rMBP & Windows 7 Bootcamp--Won't boot from USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flattyre, Jul 6, 2013.

1. flattyre macrumors newbie

I created a USB install drive using the Bootcamp software on my early 2013 15" rMBP running 10.8.4. Created it from a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ISO downloaded from Digital River (microsoft official distribution source, ISO X17-59186). The drive is USB3. When bootcamp finished and the computer restarted, it goes to a black screen with PC-style text saying

there is no bootable device inserted, please insert and press any key

My USB drive is of course inserted. I selected all the options at the start of bootcamp and it put its drivers on the same USB drive. What is going on here and how do I install Win7 from USB?

2. Oridus macrumors 6502a

I had this issue until my flash drive was formatted properly (i believe it had to be formatted as fat32, but don't quote me on it because i was on auto pilot when i did it)

3. flattyre thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand. BC Assistant itself totally formats the disk. Doesn't matter what's on it or how it's formatted beforehand.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have never installed windows like that but it sounds to me as if the wrong boot device is selected. In theory the bootcamp assistant should have the brains to do that but did you just try to option boot? Or use rEFIt.

5. flattyre thread starter macrumors newbie

The mac selects the correct boot device because it goes to a black screen with PC mode lettering but it seems like there is a driver issue for the Windows installer as far as seeing the USB.

EDIT: What is the easiest way for me to install Win 7 on this b0x without a DVD drive?

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

I never had any trouble doing just as you have described on my retina pro. Used a usb 2.0 drive though. You could always buy a superdrive and return it afterwards lol

7. flattyre thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it with a USB 2.0 stick and no issues booting or installing. WTF Apple!!! All my PCs boot from USB3 no problem, why can't my beautiful rMBP :(

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

And just imagine how much faster the install would go

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think you are doing the "easiest". You can also do it with the use of a VM software like VirtualBox. Faster, more convenient and you can use your notebook during the whole installing process. Also moving the downloaded bootcamp drivers over is a piece of cake. But it is not exactly the most straightforward thing in the world.
    Virtualbox only works with virtual disks so you need to link your ntfs parition in a raw vdsk file. It isn't difficult and for all the coming installs or reinstalls of Windows I would recommend it but it is certainly not as idiot proof as the bootcamp assistant. Only if you know what you have to do will it actually be more faster and more convenient.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Restart your computer, hold the "option" key as soon as you hear the sound. The boot list should come up. What happens when you select the windows usb drive there?

11. cbs20 macrumors member

A couple users including myself have discovered this issue in the Apple Support Communities forum. The retina MBP can boot to USB 3.0, but it is very picky about which USB 3.0 devices work. I can't boot to my USB 3.0 Masscool enclosure, but moving the same HDD to a USB 2.0 enclosure boots fine. Some people think there is a difference between the mid 2012 and early 2013 retinas and their ability to boot to USB 3.0. Some users have also complained about USB 3.0 transfer speeds not being any faster than USB 2.0.