15 rMPB Vs 13 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cpm619, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cpm619 macrumors newbie

I am trying to pick between the two as a IT an Television Radio and Film major. My needs are something that can run FCP/iMovie, programming/ other IT software.

Right now the only thing i can see that would justify me getting the rMBP is for gaming/ a better video editing experience. However, the retina display seems to be very taxing on the GPU causing lackluster frame rates. This along with the price worries me.

So my question is what do you think I should get? Is the rMBP worth it for the performance increase in gaming/ video editing? Or does the portability and size of the MBA prove to be the best match?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You ask a very personal question. Is it worth it? The answer is... it depends.

What do you value more? Performance or portability? The Pro's are quad core machines capable of more RAM and storage, but are larger and heavier. The MBA is a dual core that is lighter and fits almost anywhere. The best "match" depends on what you are trying to match it to, which in this case is your need. Only you can answer that question.

3. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Now THAT is an unbeatable response ZBoater!

But I'm still going to give my two cents.:D

mbpr is new tech, I say let it mature a little bit. MBA 13" is proven to be excellent, and is substantially cheaper. There really is nothing quite like picking up your notebook with two fingers I might add. My take on the whole portable thing is if you have a device that lets you be more portable, that's how your going to be whether you were planning on it or not. Dont' get me wrong though the MBPr is still very portable, slim and sexy in it's own right though. I think the MBA's upgraded graphics, the 2.0GHz ivy bridge cpu, and the 8gb ram is a smoking machine. I am a little biased however, that's what I decided over the mbpr.:D I have an extra 500 bucks in my pocket and still have a kick ass notebook. I do alot of pro audio work to, so it's not like i'm just browsing the internet and downloading songs here and there. I'm actually working with pretty intensive apps. Logic, with a crap load full of vst's and effects can be pretty hefty.
    Hope this helps with your decision.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The Party Is Over !

I've enjoyed my new MBP_R thus far.

However once I read the iFixit article, saw the pictures, and came to the realization of just what this computer represents, I've decided to sell it.

Had I not pre-ordered it sight unseen (trusting Apple), not knowing how it was designed, I would have never even bought one. I was shocked to read the iFixit article.

It's primarily a philosophical issue. I cannot in good conscious pay Apple for a computer that is locked down by design. While to a certain degree it's no surprise, I must draw the line somewhere, and this is where it's going to be.

The second reason is that it's too heavy relative to it's size. The difference between this 15" MBP_R and my 15" 2011 MBP hi-res anti-glare fully maxed out CTO model is only one pound. I easily carry my 2011 around all the time, a pound lighter is not an advantage.

Third reason is I am super happy with my fully maxed out 13" 2011 MBA. Now _that_ is one very light, small footprint laptop. I have become more attached to it than I ever expected.

So... it's so long MBP_R --- I will NOT Miss It :)

5. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I'm not sure what your post adds to the discussion in this particular thread, but you obviously felt the need to unburden yourself of something ... whether that was your MBP-R or something else isn't for me to decide.

I've never understood the fascination so many share for "screwdriver-ing" new equipment. In the late 1960s, Edwin Land taught us that garage sales were invented for the purpose of cascading down technology we no longer found useful. eBay and Craigslist exist today for much the same purpose.

I have actually seen an MBP-R, but do not own one. I have owned one of every iteration of the Air since inception. My impression, after handling the MBP-R rather extensively, is that it represents the future of computing. The Air did the same thing when it was introduced ... it was so bleeding edge at the time, and was lambasted for the same lack of upgradeability that the poster attributes to the MBP-R. Where, I wonder, does the MBA appear not "locked down by design?"

I share ZBoater's concern about the weight of the MBP-R. I travel with an MBA; I fear the MBP-R would be taxing in a way the Air is not. I think his analysis is a good one; actual day-to-day usage is the key to the OP's question. I have to say, however - and this is from a MacBook Air fan - that if I had the choice between the two, I'd opt for the MBP-R. It isn't perfect for everyone, certainly, but it's the same sort of evolutionary step that the Air represented four years ago. I'd rather be on the bleeding edge than be left behind. Being "locked down" doesn't have much to do with it.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Retina MBP is in practice no more "locked down by design" than the Air is. I supposed that you can technically replace the Air's battery yourself with the right screwdriver, but Apple has a pretty reasonable battery replacement policy anyway.

7. bit density macrumors 6502

If this is your only computer, get the Retina machine. It is a monster that will do very well in the environment requirements that you have. One of the major points is that it will give you a gigantic desktop for tools and your media and images. If I was a graphics pro I would get it in a heart beat.

For IT use, I don't think you are as well served here, and will compromise some. Again if the the software is updated in the tools/document way that FCP and Adobe products look like they will/are being designed for the retina machine it will be better. But there will be compromises. No Ethernet, No CD/Superdrive. But the Air isn't targeted for that space either.

If you were an otherwise somewhat normal student, with more standard needs, then get the air. And an Xbox, and a projector. I got an Air, and it is, and continues to be (2012 11"/4/128) the machine I always wanted. But I wouldn't want to be using illustrator or InDesign on this tiny machine everyday. But I do use it everyday for almost everything.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

At the heart of both of these posts is a distinct lack of knowledge regarding the dramatic differences between the MBP_Retina vs the MBA.

I'm not going to take the time to spell it all out, I will however, call to your attention one of the most significant differences neither of you are aware of.

Unlike every other Mac laptop to date, including an MBA... the MBP_R's display is integrated (bonded) into the cover as an assembly. Therefore if it fails one cannot buy a replacement display like other laptops.

This is but one of many proprietary differences. Once you learn about the MBP_R, you'll be better informed for your own decision making.

Cheers :)

9. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

None of us are idiots; it's pretty difficult to handle the MBP-R (or even watch the WWDC Keynote video) without being given to understand that the display is integrated into the machine itself.

I fail to understand how this constitutes being "locked down." Are displays more high-casualty items in the Pacific Northwest? I've owned one of every iteration of Apple notebook since the PowerBook 100 and have never had a display fail.

I'm unsure why you felt compelled to return yours, but I'll maintain - yet again - that sharing your angst with the OP did not help his situation at all.

I doubt anything in the iFixit teardown was news to you. If you suffer from buyer's remorse, get over it. Allow the rest of us to make our own choices. I can assure you that the integrated display is at the very bottom of my list of concerns over the MBP-R.