15" - Rougher Surface?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosX, Feb 20, 2010.

1. JosX macrumors regular

So after buying my 15" MBP to replace my 13" Unibody Aluminium MacBook, I noticed that the aluminium arm rest - trackpad/keyboard enclosure section feels much rougher on the 15" than the 13". It's not an issue, I'm just interested to see if anyone knows why this is.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

They can't all be machined exactly the same now can they?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The 15.4" my buddy bought last month is like that too, compared to my original 13" Aluminum MacBook as well.

4. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Yes, it's rougher. I can testify that. I received a 13' loaner computer when mine is being repaired. Definitely feels smoother than my 15 incher and feels more solid when I pick it up for some reason. And 13 inch one is quieter since it has only one fan and it uses Toshiba/Fujitsu HDD. But my 15 inch screen beat them all.

5. showkati macrumors regular

Yea, its called the fresh out of the factory feel.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not really...my 13" never had the roughness that his 15" has. I think they just must have changed the process at some point. Even the area above the keyboard (which is never touched...if you were thinking about friction wearing the roughness away) is just as smooth as my wrist-rest area.

7. JosX thread starter macrumors regular

I think it must be a machining difference, will have to compare to the mid '09 MBP next time I'm in an apple store, see if it feels rougher than the Aluminium MacBook.