Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Just curious. I just got my Apple Watch today and I have only loaded two apps on it ("Things" and "Hours" app). When I tried to open those apps to quickly create a task or to start or stop a timer, is it normal that the app won't respond u until at least 15 or so seconds? I am reading the posts here but it seems like this only happens to me, so I'm deciding if I should reset both my watch and iPhone to see if this will fix it.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
I don't have my watch yet but this seems to be normal for third party apps. Can't see it improving until apple allows developers to install apps directly to the watch instead of running on the phone.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
I don't have my watch yet but this seems to be normal for third party apps. Can't see it improving until apple allows developers to install apps directly to the watch instead of running on the phone.

Thanks. I hope Apple will allow developers to code native apps on the Apple Watch soon. I find myself continuing to use my iPhone or MacBook Air because the Apple Watch apps take too long to start up. One time when I was waiting for Things to start, the Watch's screen went to sleep so I have to quickly twist my hand to bring the screen back, and it was kind of annoying. I was hoping that my watch would make my workflow more efficient, but I probably won't use the Apple Watch versions until Apple grants native app development on the Watch platform. Thanks for replying again.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Thanks. I hope Apple will allow developers to code native apps on the Apple Watch soon. I find myself continuing to use my iPhone or MacBook Air because the Apple Watch apps take too long to start up. One time when I was waiting for Things to start, the Watch's screen went to sleep so I have to quickly twist my hand to bring the screen back, and it was kind of annoying. I was hoping that my watch would make my workflow more efficient, but I probably won't use the Apple Watch versions until Apple grants native app development on the Watch platform. Thanks for replying again.

Yeah based on what I've read I don't intend to install many watch apps at all when I get my watch. Essentially opening an app on your watch sends a signal to your phone via Bluetooth. Your phone then opens the app and sends the data back to your watch. It's clunky.
Hopefully there'll be an announcement in Mondays keynote.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Have you updated your watch yet (through the Apple Watch app on your phone)? Because that significantly improves 3rd party app load times.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know about 15 seconds, but it can take a few. As others said, it should improve once developers get an SDK and as they get more familiar with the watch. There's an obvious difference between, say, native apps like Workout and Activity and third-parties like Target or Starbucks.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I've had apps take 15+ secs to be responsive, but usually when I see this happening, it occurs with any 3rd party app I try opening, which to me is indicating an overall communication issue between the Watch and iPhone and that point in time. If all things are working as expected, most 3rd party apps should only take a few seconds to open.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
This slowness is unacceptable. It's something we'd expect from Apple's competitors as the norm and wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. It's not something we'd expect from Apple. It's a bigger problem than Apple maps ever was.

I love the Watch but there are way too many things that scream "rushed to market". E.g., I don't care about the heart rate monitoring change, but the fact that a couple of weeks after launch they made such a big change when they've had maybe a year of testing real hardware internally is shocking.

Last edited:

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
I had the same problem with Dark Skies and it worked a charm after I uninstalled and re installed it. The uninstall literally takes a minute so try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.