15" seems too big

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alpha.K, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Alpha.K macrumors member

I just got a MBP 15" this morning and after the first few minutes it seems too big. I'll probably use it for a few days and if it's too big than I'll return it and buy a 13". I was wondering if any first time 15" purchasers had a similar experience? Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep same here. I kept my 15" longer and then sold it when the time was right and picked up a 13".

I like the 13" MBP because its better for traveling and when I'm not mobile, I have it hooked up to a large monitor so I get the benefits of a large display without the need to lug it around

3. Alpha.K thread starter macrumors member

So, you're saying that you felt that the 15" was too big and so you decided to get the 13".

Anybody who thought the 15" was too big at first but got used to it?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I came in here just to say that as well :p

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The contents of this thread might disappoint some google-searchers after reading the title...

While being accustomed to traveling with ultra-portables in the past, such as a Dell Latitude X1 and a Fujitsu T2010, I was used to the 15" MacBook Pro within a week. While the weight is almost triple my old Dell's, the fact that you can find a proper bag for a 15" notebook makes a big difference. Carrying options for the ultra-portables are often self-defeating. Also, the fact that the MacBook Pro power adapter is compact and relatively light weight makes a big difference for me.

7. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

The 15" MBP is actually quite small for it's screen size. In addition, since the 13" MBP offers a joke of a resolution - 1280x800 (while the MBA 13" offers 1440x900, explain that one to me...), I can't imagine ever wanting the 13" MBP. You want ultimate portability? Go with MBA. You want power? Go with 15" MBP. You want desktop replacement without external monitor? Go with 17" MBP.

8. Dcr2k macrumors newbie

Since you beat me to "thats what she said"

Pause

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 15" MBP is actually the smallest 15" laptop out there both in thickness and footprint.

I couldn't personally do any actual work with a screen much smaller than that, and my 1440x900 is often not enough.

If I only wanted to tool around on the interwebs and do some basic stuff, a 13" would be fine for me.

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I purchased a 13 and kept it for a week, before moving up to the 15. The 15 did feel rather large at first, but I got used to it fairly quick. I think size wise, the 13 is just perfect for carrying around *not so much weight but the size is just easier to carry for us ladies*. The extra resolution is nice though, and I would likely have a problem going back if I had to... jmho!

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ive had a 2010 13inch macbook pro and a 2011 15inch macbook pro (sold the 13 to save up for 15)

anyways, i like the 15inch BECAUSE its slightly bigger. there was really nothing wrong with the 13inch screen size, it was tolerable, but i wanted something with power and portability, and of course the 15inch is best of both worlds.

i love the specs onit and the 15inch screen is not to big and not to small.

one thing i will admit though, the 13inch, was , i will say, there both easy to carry around, but hte 13inch was more conveniant to carry around.

overall, i will probably not go back to the 13inch in the future.

heck if u downgrade, u might eeven miss the specs of the 15inch.

12. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I went from a Black MacBook (i.e., 13") to a 1440x900 15" MBP last summer. I love the horsepower, screen size, and some of the "luxuries" (i.e., optical drive, FW800 port, ethernet, etc). I don't know how relevant this is, but I'll also point out that I almost always have it plugged into an external monitor when I'm at home (currently a 27" Apple Cinema Display).

HOWEVER, I'm a student, and I'm rarely on campus (every weekday, at least 4 hrs/day) without my MBP in my backpack. It's heavy, and it doesn't help that it sits in a Tom Bihn brain cell (heavy duty case, but big/heavy) inside my backpack. Despite this, I've pretty much gotten used to it, and I really like my MBP.

After yesterday's refresh of the MBA and ACD, I'm thinking the combination of those two devices might be awesome:
    • The 13" MBA has the same resolution as the standard 15" MBP (1440x900)
    • Do I really need to mention the size/weight (or lack thereof)?
    • SSD = very snappy
    • With the latest ACD refresh, the ACD features 3 USB, FW800, AND Ethernet. One cable to use these (thunderbolt).

tl;dr: I got used to my MBP and really like it; however, depending on your usage, you may be better off with a newly refreshed 13" MacBook Air + 27" Apple Cinema Display.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This.

14. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Of Course there would be like 5 people who would say this before me haha.

But anyway, to the OP, I thought that mine was too big at first as well. But I got used to it. Its been great for everything. The only time it actually bothers me, and I'm not making this up, is when I use it in the washroom lol. It gets kinda heavy to hold with one arm while sitting.

15. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I fooled around with them all at Apple, and felt the 15" was too big for me to carry around all the time. It's not that it's huge or anything, I just felt the 13" was much better for me, plus the 15" wouldn't have fit in my messenger bag; yes I could buy a new bag, but I don't want a bigger bag. This was before the new style airs(I think they were rev. c at the time, the ones that looked like a mini unibody), now it would be between a 13" pro and air.

16. engaged44 macrumors member

being a college student i love my 15...i know a lot of people who envy me having one, but there are times where i want a 13..i just wanted the 15 because it's more powerful and to be honest i love it.

when i purchase my next macbook it will be a 15.

17. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

If I had to choose between the MBP13 and the MBA13. I would get the MBP13 any day. It is the bigger no-compromise laptop of the two. You get more horsepower and harddrive capacity for a cheaper price. Its only a fraction heavier.

The resolution could also be considered a con but I personally checked both screens side by side. Same webpage, same exact frame of a random movie, same document and I could honestly not tell the difference. Though I wish it does have a hi-res screen option.

If you are going for an ultraportable then you might as well get the MBP13 or 15 + an ipad combo for an absolutely no-compromise experience. I'd rather have one device though and the MBP13 was just the least worst option of all their laptops.

18. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The 15" MBP High-Resolution is The Best all around Mac Laptop!

*Has very good screen

*Lots of HD (storage) options

*Up to 16 Gigs of ram

*Very good sounding speakers

*And still remains Very portable.

19. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just switched from a 13" Macbook to a 15" Macbook pro and I love having the larger computer. I felt cramped on a 13" screen and was never able to run anything side by side, but now with a 15" screen there is so much more space and it really isn't that much larger of a machine (or doesn't seem like it to me). I really like my 15" macbook pro and would recommend to anyone to get one just because of the screen real estate. If you are willing to have a couple extra pounds in your backpack, the 15" is the way to go.

20. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I have a 15-incher. The main reason I chose it over the 13" was because, well, the 13" is kind of lacking. It doesn't have a hi-res anti-glare display and the processor is slower. If you're looking for portability, I'm not sure why you don't get a 13" MacBook Air. I would chose a 13" MBA over a 13" MBP any day. But to answer your question, no, I don't feel that the 15" MBP is too big and I never thought it was too big. It's the perfect laptop, in my mind.

21. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I already told you. The MBP13 is just a tad heavier. Yet it is faster, has more hdd capacity and its cheaper. Why would you get a MBA when its just a notch lighter. Might as well get an ipad if you are going all out.

22. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u obvously never held a macbook air before LOL

23. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The air being 35% lighter is more than a "tad or notch"

24. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

17in and never thought it was too big.
    Instead, it could be a little bigger for me

25. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

I've had 14.1" (Lenovo), 16.4" (Sony VAIO) and I own an iPad. I bought a 15" MBP because it wasn't too small like the 14.1" nor too large like the 16.4". It also weights .2 lbs more than the 14.1". If I need something lighter, I take my iPad and my Logitech bluetooth keyboard around we me. Perfect solution to my needs.

I am very impressed with my very first MBP. It's a keeper for sure!