15" tMBP, power supply can't keep up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmaier, Nov 30, 2016.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

Running handbrake on my 15" tMBP (with the 2.9GHz processor) and noticed that the battery percentage has been slowly dropping (about 1% every couple of minutes). Using the official Apple 87W power brick. Believe the issue is probably that I am using an Aukey usb-c cable instead of Apple's, but not entirely sure.

When I run handbrake with a different 87W brick and Apple's cable (in a different location), haven't noticed this. Could also be an issue with this particular power brick, of course.

I'll try and remember to bring an Apple cable with me tomorrow to narrow the issue down.

2. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

3. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

It is that cable. Only recent Apple USB-C cables and a few newer ones from other companies are 100W. The rest are 60W at most.

Yes, those adapters max out at 60W. Apple says this in a support document somewhere.

4. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

5. Awjvail macrumors 6502

The cable you're using only supports up to 60w. This means the computer is only getting 2/3 of the power it needs.

6. cmaier thread starter macrumors G3

Too bad, because it's a very nice cable. Already seeing where the official apple cable is going to fray...