Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Hello,

So i am planning of buying MBP 15" for laptop use (while sitting on my comfy eames lounge chair).

I have just heard about some user reports suggesting that 15" might be "too big" for laptop use? How correct is this?

I mean, the laptop itself isn't heavy (at all) and i really like the extra 2 inches you get. (IMHO 13" is too small :( )

+ going to hold on for this for possibly long time. So extra 2 cores is nobrainer.

What you guys think?

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2012
Personally I would have bought a 17" if they still made them.

I still prefer the large screen of my 17" Dell Studio 1745 for some tasks.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I've always used 15" so used to it, the new 15" is slightly smaller (width wise) so it helps if you're not comfortable with bigger laptops.

natted

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Haha, I've used my 2013 15" MacBook pro everywhere. On airplanes, in my car, at cafes. I carry it with me daily whereever I go in my backpack. I even cycle to work with it sometimes.

The best place to use it is in my recliner chair. Size is perfectly fine and being larger I can work comfortably for longer.

The newer 2017 15" is even smaller than mine so you are unlikely to have an issue.

The only place I've found it slightly inconvenient is on a plane when someone reclines the seat in front.

In most cases the 15" is more comfortable to use on the go, as long as you don't mind the extra weight. Considering how light these notebooks are these days, the 15" weighs less than almost all notebooks from a decade ago.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I use my 15 in my recliner. But, I don't put it on my lap. I have a little table that overhangs the recliner. I find using a computer on my lap a good way to have it to fall on the floor when I doze off. zzzzzzzzz

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I was in a similar situation, I had a 2012 retina 15" and loved it, but was upgrading earlier this year and needed to choose between the 2016 13" or 2016 15". I now travel a lot more than I did back then so was very close to getting a maxed out 13" but in the end I realised the screen size was the most important thing for me and I know deep down I would have regretted the 13".

Portability is the sacrifice but I always use mine on my lap when relaxing if I am away from home and really don't think its an issue, it starts to feel smaller the more you use it to be honest. OP from what you are saying, I think you would regret buying a 13" too.

I would say to go to an apple store and pick it up and see how you feel, but I always feel like MacBooks feel way bigger in store.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Hello,

So i am planning of buying MBP 15" for laptop use (while sitting on my comfy eames lounge chair).

I have just heard about some user reports suggesting that 15" might be "too big" for laptop use? How correct is this?

I mean, the laptop itself isn't heavy (at all) and i really like the extra 2 inches you get. (IMHO 13" is too small :( )

+ going to hold on for this for possibly long time. So extra 2 cores is nobrainer.

What you guys think?

With the new form factor, no the 15" almost feels like a 14" laptop
I just got a 13" and my wife said, "why is it so small"

Always depends what you are going to do on the laptop.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I just watched a review of the Kaby Lake 15 inch on phonedog.com Facebook page and I was little bit taken aback by the size of the thing. I don't know if its a case where the author has small hands or overall small in size, but it looked mighty big. But I guess the thinness makes up for it.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hello,

What you guys think?

It's not too big for that, in fact - if you plan on holding it in your lap, the 15" is better (13" is a bit too small, you have to keep your legs close to one another). However, my issue would be the warmth (and that applies to all models). It gets uncomfortable fast even at mild temperatures.

But in terms of weight and size - no, 15" is comfortable for sure.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This really is "a personal thing", the kind of answer that can only be provided by the person who's asking the question.

Some folks find the 15" model "too big".
Others don't.

The new 15" models have definitely "shrunk" a little since the early 15" MacBook Pros.
Side-by-side with the 13", they aren't all that much larger than an "early" 13" MBPro.

Again, it's personal -- will you feel comfortable carrying the larger one around?

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
Hello,

What you guys think?
This is so subjective, what someone finds too small someone else would love. Why not just buy it from Apple, they have a open box return policy - so if you don't like it just swap it out

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I've owned the 13" form factor for the last 10 years and I gotta say I love the larger screen on my 15" Pro. The extra real estate is fantastic and I don't feel like it's too large or a burden while using it on my lap. It's actually lighter and doesn't have a much larger footprint than my first plastic MacBook back in the day so we have come a long way in a short time.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hello,

What you guys think?
I purchased the MBP w/ TB 15" a couple months ago and I loved it. I'm coming from a 2011 MBA. I returned the 15" MBPtb only because I was able to get my MBA fixed. I'm ready to repurchase anytime now, and I won't hesitate on the 15". The screen is awesome and I used it when lounging on my sofa and in bed. I'm glad I got to experience and do a trial on the 15" because it definitely is a step up from my MBA in terms of screen real estate. I even plan on using it for travel. I know it will be a tad bit heavy, but I'll be using a sleeve to house the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.