15" touch bar video problems common?

upgraded2fatmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
I just had to leave my 15" touch bar at the Apple store.

My original Retina Powerbook had video problems, and I eventually got reimbursed by Apple for the repair, when those video problems became so common.

Now this new 15" TB was showing similar symptoms: "noise" across the internal display (not any external display) that got better or worse depending on what was showing on the screen. The Apple diagnostics utility report that everything is OK, so the Apple Store is submitting it as a warranty claim.

Are others having video problems with the new 15" laptops? Is this going to turn into another common problem?

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
I mainly use mine in clamshell mode, but never had issues when connected with projectors or external displays for presentations etc. The external display had some issues a few times but I think this has to do with the display itself (LG 27" 5K). Do you mirror the display (just wondering if this would make a difference)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No so far they have been pretty damn good, however any electronic component can die at any time for many different reasons seems like you were just unlucky this time, but only time will tell.

oletimer

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I just had my display replaced. MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016). Done under warranty because of video artifacts on the internal display. Easiest way to reproduce the problem was to boot into Apple Hardware Test (hold "D" during boot). Hardware Test reported no problems, but the video artifacts were severe. I was at least happy the repair was very quick--Went out Wednesday night and came back Friday morning.

Reactions: ilpap