15" uMBP Flickering Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kim Philby, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Kim Philby macrumors newbie

I was discussing the 15" unibody MacBookPro flickering video issue with some coworkers and someone brought up an interesting theory. So I'm running it by you guys.

First question is how many people are using a 15" uMBP that has a flickering video issue (or has had a flickering video issue)?
    Second is does the flickering video happen when you are playing a MMORPG like World of Warcraft, EverQuest, Final Fantasy, etc.?

My coworker says it happens when the GPU is being heavily taxed, I don't think so. I'm just trying to prove my point.

2. wschutz macrumors 6502

Please... define your 'type' of flickering... there are many different kind of flickerings under that name

My (not so) old uMBP 15", that I sold recently, had what it seems to be a common flickering in the late 2008 batch (I bought it at the very beginning of 2009). This flickering was a random flash where the screen did flash for a fraction of a second or just a part of it (horizontally).

I took it to have it repaired, and after changing the screen, the flickering was still there, so they changed the logic board... and voilà, gone :)

Too bad that I sold the laptop because I need one of the new ones with longer baterry time... but now that Apple is about to release new ones... I'm waiting and using my old (white) Macbook in the mean time ;)

Summing up... define your flickering, and take it to an authorised repair service or an Apple Store (I had to prove the technician that there was a problem, and I was lucky enough to have a couple of flcikering while he was looking at the screen...)

3. Kim Philby thread starter macrumors newbie

The flickering I was thinking of is more like the entire screen getting dark or going blank for a fraction of a second. So fast that you never really lose video but it is noticeable.

4. wschutz macrumors 6502

Ok... I had the same issue. Get it repaired ASAP :) But be prepared to be told that they don't see anything, hence you'll have to convince them to look at the screen for a while (with you, otherwise they won't do it and tell you that it works flawlessly...)

5. Kim Philby thread starter macrumors newbie

So what were you doing when you saw your flicker? Was the computer idle or were you using it?