15" UMBP or 13" MBP(SD)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by symple84, Jun 23, 2009.

1. symple84 macrumors member

Hello,

I come from a 2008 model MBP 2.4 ghz, 4 GB RAM but I had to sell a while back due to some financial difficulties. Now I am reconsidering a Mac since I never had an issue with my MBP. I have some doubt between getting a unibody MBP say 15" previous model or get a new 13" SD model. I don't do any video editing or anything like that. I just want to get something comparable to what I had. Also keep in mind that I was running at 667 Mhz.

Thanks for your input

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What????

If you don't use your machine for anything intensive, just go with the cheapest model you feel comfortable with. Anything in the Mac laptop line can handle music/photos/web browsing/email capably (and simultaneously) with ease.

It seems to me your biggest issue is going to be the screen size. The 13" is significantly smaller than the 15." Do you live near an apple store? You might consider going there and testing each one.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I think he is talking about Ram speed.... it's all I can make sense of it.

From what you're talking about, I would consider taking a look at the white Macbook. It's almost as powerful as the 13" MBP... and cheaper, which sounds like a good thing because of the financial difficulties you mentioned.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agreed with the 'any mac can handle your stated needs' conclusion.

Would also suggest looking on Craigslist for a last gen unibody macbook. Been seeing examples of the 2.0 (made in 09 with the better screens) going for $900 or less in my area. You could probably talk them down a bit further, and get unibody and extra feature goodness for the same price or lower than a refurbed nvidia whitebook at the apple store online.

5. symple84 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I am considering going with the previous uMBP model maybe a 15" since I dont take it out of the house much. But somone who replied was correct, I am worried about the speed issue for example getting a slower processor (2.26). But I would upgrade either machine to 4GB.