15" uMBP unresponsive trackpad button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nightfly13, Feb 22, 2011.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

We've had this issue for months but since we're quite far from the nearest Apple store for another three months I haven't felt like there's much to be done.

To be clear, this MBP is around 1.5y old and has the big glass trackpad with integrated 'click' button on the bottom third of it. The button hasn't worked in 7-8 months. The 'tap to click' works, and that's how we use it, but since I don't use it every day (it's basically my wife's) it really annoys me when I do use it. Should I assume this is a hardware issue that can only be fixed by replacement? We don't have AppleCare. Is the trackpad one part that can be replaced or...?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. celticpride678

There is a screw located underneath the battery that can be tightened and loosened. That might be it.

It's going to be hard to get to if you have a Mac that doesn't have a removable battery compartment, though.

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm guessing that info might be for a previous model, which actually has a real physical button (slightly raised from the rest of the trackpad) and my button is totally different?

4. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Nope, your model has the adjustment screw as well.

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thanks! I'll crack it open tonight and see what can be done. Thanks for the helpful feedback, MacRumors braintrust!!

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had my topcase replaced under warranty once for the same issue. It wasn't unresponsive consistently - half the time it was hit or miss. On second thought, I didn't try adjusting the screw first, but yeah :p

7. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

The under-battery screw fixed it!

Thanks guys! After 2-3 adjustments I got the screw beneath the battery just right and the click works as normal. I no longer hate that laptop!

Two side notes: You really need 3 specific small screw driver bits to get in, and they're not the same. I happen to have 3-4 micro screwdriver sets and was able to get in without much issue. I did have to peel back the 'do not remove battery' sticker to get to the third battery screw.

Also, it seems that all 3 little plastic loops on my battery have broken. The screw still secures it down, and of course the bottom body cover is so snug you don't really need those screws anyway, but it was an interesting realization. The laptop was dropped a year ago and the lid is slightly (1-2mm) misaligned, and it seems the battery plastic loops also broke at that time.

Again, thanks for helping me with a relatively simple and totally free fix!