15" Unibody Battery drains while sleeping - why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nopassn, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nopassn macrumors regular

On my 2.4 Ghz whitebook the batter doesn't have any noticeable drain while sitting all day asleep.

I got a new 15" 2.53 MBP last week and I've noticed that the battery will have, on average, 10% less charge in the evening than it did when I checked email on it before leaving the house in the morning. Today, I tested it, just to make sure I wasn't crazy... charged it up overnight, then checked email, it was at 100%. Unplugged the magsafe connector. Closed the lid and waited for it to sleep. I get home tonight ~11 hours later, and the battery has 11% less charge than it did this morning...

Anyone have any insight to this?

FWIW - my whitebook will sleep in a couple of seconds, my MBP take a good 10-15 seconds to sleep (both on 10.5.6)

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

You are misunderstanding what sleep mode is. What you want is hibernate. This is when the system's memory is dumped to the hard drive and the system completely shuts down. What is happening is sleep. This is when the system dumps the memory to the HD, but still stays on. That is why your battery is showing drain; Because its still on.

To get around this, I would use SmartSleep. Its a preference pane that allows you to change what "mode" of sleep your system goes into: Normal (dumps mem to HD; sleeps when battery is above 10%, hibernates if not), always sleep, always hibernate, and SmartSleep (if battery is above 10% and you close the MBP, it does not dump memory to HD and enters sleep mode; if its lower then 10%, it dumps mem to HD then sleeps). Personally, I would recommend using SmartSleep mode, but hibernate or shut off your MBP if you aren't going to be using it for a while. Why leave it in sleep mode (when all your processes are paused anyway)?

I hope that helps you with your problem.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I can't believe that your even asking this question, you do understand the difference between sleep and shut down dont you?

If i put you to sleep your body would still burn calories, like the computer does, but if i put you permanently to sleep (killed you) your body would need nothing, like a computer.

4. semitry macrumors member

He did say he sleeps his white macbook so it seems he has an idea what he's talking about.

There have been numerous complaints about the new MBP power usage while in sleep mode compared to earlier models.

5. nopassn thread starter macrumors regular

That's very helpful... Yeah, I get all that... all I was saying is - when I close the lid on whitebook, no battery drain. When I close the lid on new hotness, battery drain - I don't know what the hell they're doing, all I know is one eats battery for no apparent reason.

It appears as though the Macbook I have does something different when you close the lid than the MBP does - thanks to everyone else for helping me figure that out.

6. hari-bhari macrumors regular

there is a huge thread on the apple discussion forums about this. its a crappy issue that as of yet has no solution. the new MBPs drain about 1-1.5% per hour in sleep whereas older models wouldn't drain more than a couple of percent in a whole day :(

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

8. finalcut macrumors 6502

Indeed. I have the same problem also. In 12 hours sleeping, my battery drains around 20%!. My white MB never drained more than 5-6% in 12 hours sleeping

9. Ploki macrumors 68020

10. semitry macrumors member

finalcut has 4gb on his whitebook and mbp

11. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Does the amount of things happening on the laptop affect this drainage problem? If you have a few programs running and just close the lid does it make a difference than if you closed everything, shut off bluetooth and wifi, etc and then closed the lid?