15" Unibody MBP Screen messed up :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSVD, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey guys, i dont have a decent camera so i cant show you this.
    About 35% of the of my screen (its on the left, as a kind of vertical chunk) is filled with some kind of distortion, light purple and green horizontal lines - they do not make that part of the screen unseeable, they simply flicker and fuzz.

Here is a very bad pic of the fuzz.
    [​IMG]
    I used to be able to get rid of it by moving the screen back and forth, but now its stuck.
    Its 11pm here and i cant call applecare, this is really pissing me off!
    ANY ideas to fix it?
    Tried -
    >Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
    >Switching graphics
    >Messing around with fans
    >Giving it a tap :p

With no avail. Any more ideas before i make that dreaded appointment? Not what you expect when you pay this much for a laptop :mad:

2. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

If you bought it recently they should exchange it on the spot.

With the LCD turned off, try tilting the screen and look where the distortion is. If you see it with the LCD switch off than it's a defect in the glass cover.

3. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

nah its a connection issue methinks, hence the being able to change the distortion as i move the screen about.
    I purchased it about a month ago ( recieved it a few days before xmas ) so you reckon theyll straight exchange?
    i might just do the angry customer gig so they deffo exchange it right away :p
    what i didnt wanna do is exchange it though cause i seem to be the only guy with a mbp that doesnt have gfx issues haha :(
    oh well.
    cheers mate :)

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

First of all, you don't want to be a prick. They can easily say that they don't see anything, make a mark in the computer's record that you brought in and it was denied, causing you to have to jump through hoops and hurtles to get the issue fixed. They may not correct the problem in the way that you want it corrected, but it will be corrected. Don't run off your mouth to the guy, you'll get nowhere fast.

Second of all, defects happen and problems happen. Cables become loose, and manufacturing defects make themself apparent over time. This is why there is a warrantee.

It is unlikely you will get a replacement after having it for 2 months. They may hold onto it overnight, open it up, and check the wire. It might have come alittle loose. It's kind of hard to tell in your picture what the problem is. It might also be the video card, so they may have to replace the logic board. They might end up replacing the screen. I don't know what country you're from, but in the US, manufacturers don't have to replace a product due to a defective part. They have to fix it (if it's still under warrantee), and they are granted more then 1 attempt to fix it. I think the magic number is 3 times to fix it, then it's declared a lemon, and then they have to replace the product.

Just be nice to them, and they will be nice to you. Don't throw a hissy fit because they won't replace the entire laptop the second you show them the issue. If they do, be grateful. If they don't, let them do their thing.

5. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

haha okay.
    Sorry, i was a little pissed of last night when i wrote that haha :(
    And okay, guess ill just give applecare a call today, nicely :)