Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reelist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
hey guys, this is my first mac, i'm fairly new to macs and OSX, so excuse my inexperience if this is a known issue, however..

i've noticed that on occasion the OS seems to semi freeze up. i can still use active applications, but the dock is unresponsive and other features such as expose don't work. at first i thought it was msn for mac - being a 3rd party app - but forcing a quit on that was fruitless. as was forcing a quit on all applicaitons. i attempted a normal shutdown but the machine freezes and i have to force the shut down by holding the power button.

its happened a few times now, i bought it late december and its happened at least 5 times since. i tend to use it regularly, between 5-8 hours a day, and rarely shut down the machine, opting to instead put it into sleep mode.

has anyone experienced this? is there a work around/patch (MS talk, i know :$) around that'll fix it?

thanks

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
hey guys, this is my first mac, i'm fairly new to macs and OSX, so excuse my inexperience if this is a known issue, however..

i've noticed that on occasion the OS seems to semi freeze up. i can still use active applications, but the dock is unresponsive and other features such as expose don't work. at first i thought it was msn for mac - being a 3rd party app - but forcing a quit on that was fruitless. as was forcing a quit on all applicaitons. i attempted a normal shutdown but the machine freezes and i have to force the shut down by holding the power button.

its happened a few times now, i bought it late december and its happened at least 5 times since. i tend to use it regularly, between 5-8 hours a day, and rarely shut down the machine, opting to instead put it into sleep mode.

has anyone experienced this? is there a work around/patch (MS talk, i know :$) around that'll fix it?

thanks

Maybe you should take it in to the Genius Bar. I use my unibody MBP for hours each day and have never once had it even come close to freezing, nor have I ever had to use Force Quit. The behavior you're describing doesn't sound normal.

reelist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
cheers for the replies gents.

i tried adium, didn't really like the feel of it. theres too much going on and i like simple! the only thing about msnformac i dont like is the lack of webcam intergration. that aside, its good enough.

how good are the guys at genius bar? i'm in the UK and when i bought the MBP i was served by an 18 year old who didn't have a clue. i'm no mac fanboy, this is my first machine, but i did my research and knew what i was buying. i dont think he had much of a clue what he was selling. i was told in no uncertain terms that the graphics performance of the 13" MB was on par with the 15" MBP! so you can forgive me for being a little sceptical here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.