15" Unibody MBP - When running XP, keyboard and mouse stop functioning sometimes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HelC001, Mar 26, 2009.

1. HelC001 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got the new 15" MBP with 4GB RAM and I've got XP (32-bit) installed on Bootcamp.

The problem I'm experiencing is that when something crashes badly on XP (you know the sort, whacks processor usage up to 100%, screens go white, etc.), especially games on Steam - CS:S and Empire Total War to be exact - instead of just having to force the offending programs to quit using the task manager, the keyboard and mouse sort of stop responding. I can move the mouse pointer, and the CTRL-ALT-DEL combo still brings up the task manager, but clicking and typing just don't seem to have any effect. This is annoying because it turns a simple crash to desktop into a full restart courtesy of holding the power button down.

Another thing that I have noticed is that pressing the back, play/pause and forward buttons also get the thing into this sort of state (even though they used to just interact with Media player nicely), and you can tell the whole computer hasn't frozen because sounds continue to play, minimised MSN windows still start blinking when new messages arrive, pressing the Command/Windows key still causes the start menu to pop up, etc.

Another problem I've encountered with playing Counter-strike on this is that occasionally the screen will go blank and the sound will get stuck repeating, also requiring a forced restart.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing or know what's causing it? :confused:

And please, try to cut back on the urge for some Windows hating and comments like "your fault for using XP" - it's a necessary evil :( XP is one of the reasons I decided to go over to the Mac side, that and the fact that they're so damned pretty :p

Thanks,
    James

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what are your temperatures when playing? it sounds like it may be overheating a little bit.

3. HelC001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure, only temperature measuring app I have is iStat Nano, which is on OS X.

It's not just when gaming though, earlier I was watching something on BBC iPlayer and Flash decided it had enough of playing ball, IE crashed and the whole computer locked up :confused: