15" Unibody Privacy Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellion, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Hellion macrumors member

Hellion

I would like to get a privacy screen for my 15" Macbook Pro. I was looking at this 3mskins.com and they don't have one for the 15" Unibody Macbook Pro, but do have one for the 15.4" Macbook Pro. The screens are measured by screen diag, and the Unibody is 15.4" so would this work for me? thanx for any replies in advance. :apple:

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't have a unibooty machine in front of me but the screen on the first generation macbook pro is recessed slightly from the bezel. but thats not the case on the unibody machines. I don't even think it would close correctly with the tabs that need to be on the front of the screen.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It'll cut the viewing angles from the default to about 30°. They also distort the display colour and image quality. Not recommended for any form of creative work that involves colour accuracy.

5. Hellion thread starter macrumors member

Hellion

No, I am going to Afghan and wanna use it on the plane and in Airports. Was also advised by my relief over there to get one so when I am using my Macbook in "public" it will make it a bit harder for wandering eyes to see what i'm doing. Nothing mission critical, but just for that extra piece of privacy when I'm surfing the net or whatever.:apple:

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh, then in that case they'll be perfect. So long as you don't mind having a 1-1.5mm dark polarised sheet of plastic stuck to your screen. On the older MBP's the 15.4" version fit the screen perfectly because there's a shallow recess. On the newer Unibodies this might prevent the scheen from close correctly, I'm unsure cause I don't have a Unibody...

But I have the same sort of privacy filter on my Mobile. Thankfully newer Sharp mobiles have an electronic version.

7. kentcoleslaw macrumors newbie

Freudian slip? ;)

8. Hellion thread starter macrumors member

Hellion

So would anyone be able to suggest a Privacy Filter that would go along with a 15" MBP that won't break bank?:apple: Thanx by the way for the answers!:cool:

9. mllemagpie macrumors newbie

not ideal but works

I recently got one of the 15.4" privacy screens for my 15" unibody MBP. You can't use the tabs they provide because they do require that the screen be recessed somewhat and don't stick well to the screen. In the end I used small pieces of double-sided tape to tape the filter to the screen. It's not ideal, but it would serve your purpose for your travels. I hope someone makes a filter specifically for the unibody macs soon but I have not been able to find one yet.

10. Hellion thread starter macrumors member

Hellion

Kool man thanx for that. I think i'm just gonna go with the one from buy.com and see what happens! Will post results and maybe some screenshots for someone else with this issue.

oh so you actually put the tape on your screen?