15" Unibody sale advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by knuckleball, Mar 6, 2011.

1. knuckleball, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

knuckleball macrumors newbie

knuckleball

Hi there!

I'm preparing to sell my MacBook Pro and was hoping to get some advice with regards to what a fair price might be.

I realize that http://www.mac2sell.net and eBay can provide some good starting points, but I'd really appreciate some insight from some of the members here, as there are a few things that I think could affect my asking price.

These are the specs:

• Model: MacBook Pro 5,1
    • Display: 15" glossy
    • Processor: 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
    • Memory: 8 GB
    • Hard drive: 500 GB (7200rpm)
    • AppleCare expiry: March 30, 2012

Mac2Sell tells me that its estimated value is $1,130 CAD.

A few things I'd like to mention:

The laptop has had its fair share of repairs. Would the new parts add more value to the laptop? Or would the fact that it has needed so many repairs detract from its resale value?

• The battery lost all of its health literally overnight. One day it was at 95% health and the next morning its health had almost completely depleted. An Apple Store immediately replaced the battery.
    • The hard drive crashed last year and was replaced and upgraded from the stock 320 GB hard drive to a WD Scorpio Black drive
    • The SuperDrive will be replaced before being sold. I took my MacBook Pro to an Apple Store recently, while on vacation, and they ran tests to determine that it was faulty and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, they were unable to get the part before I left town again. An authorized Apple repair tech will be doing the repair here.
    • I'm currently experiencing a flickering display problem with the laptop. For an example, watch this video. I'm not sure what the repair for this will be, but it will certainly be completed before sale.

The notebook is in very good condition, I'd say. There is a very small dent on the top lid. There are the typical scratches on the bottom of the notebook. The biggest aesthetic issue is that I'm missing one of the rubber feet, which I will hopefully replace before sale. The notebook does not have its original box, but would come with the following accessories:

• MagSafe adapter with revised design (purchased this year)
    • Mac OS X 10.6 install disc
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard
    • Apple Magic Mouse
    • Apple remote

Just to be clear, this is not me trying to subtly advertise my laptop. I'm not even planning on selling it for another month or so. I also apologize if this type of post is only allowed in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I don't have a high enough post count to access that subforum and I'm just trying to plan my budget for when I buy my new iMac and MacBook Pro! :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your advice as to what I should ask for, with regards to price!

2. themac23 macrumors regular

It will sell for 1,200 - 1,300 on ebay with your applecare still valid until late 2012.

The previous poster who stated 899-999 is out of touch.

3. knuckleball thread starter macrumors newbie

knuckleball

Thank you for your replies! Any more opinions out there? Would be nice to get a bit more of a consensus. :)

4. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I wouldnt write about the repairs and i dont think it would fetch more then $1000 tops and thats i your lucky. Id say if you could find a buyer at 900-950 take it.

5. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I'll buy it for $500 :D

I think mac2sell and eBay completed listings are the best way to find what it's worth. Especially the eBay completed listings. It shows what people are really buying them for on eBay, not what people are listing them for based on the price they want to sell it for. It's the prices people are willing to pay for the product. It's what I use when I sell anything on eBay no matter what it is.

6. un.titled macrumors regular

You can get the 2010 i5 new in a box for $1,399...

This is a 2009 C2D with a dent.

7. themac23 macrumors regular

Plus tax and with half the warranty his computer has. That accounts for alot. Used 13" Macbook Pro still sell for 1k or more on ebay regularly.

OP - Check ebays completed listings and you will see. Get the flickering fixed and don't mention any of the repairs in your ad. List the unit with great pictures emphasizing the existing warranty and slap a 1,300 buy it now on the listing and it will sell. I have ran an ebay business for years and shop for Macbook deals on the regular.

Hell, the mid-2009 2.8ghz refurbed from Apple is still almost 1,500 still and was almost 1,800 last week before the new models came out. That is without tax and the extra $250 for the Applecare.

8. knuckleball thread starter macrumors newbie

knuckleball

Thanks to all of you for your replies! I really do appreciate it. I wasn't even aware of the "Completed Listings" option for an eBay search, so that has been very helpful.

Although most of the listings I've found were regarding i7 models, I did find a few that had gone for $900 - $1300, so that's encouraging. I'm going to take a second look for the original box, as I think that would maybe make the sale a little easier.

I should clarify, with regards to the dent - it is *very* small. I have to look for a few seconds before I find it and I spend most of my day with this notebook. ;)

I did also forget to mention that I would also be including a 21-in-1 card reader ExpressCard. Obviously, that's not going to really bump the price up, but I do want the info to be as complete as possible.

Again, thanks so much for the replies.

9. un.titled macrumors regular

Let us know how much it sells for.