Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Will the 15" be getting an update with Force Touch and Taptic or is it getting the axe?

Thinking of emailing Tim and asking, unless anyone happens to know.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Send Tim an email. Let us know what he says.

Sent, but of the 4 emails I've sent him over the years, I only ever heard back on one (and it wasn't directly from him - it ended up being from a different EO at Apple. I forget which.)

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

----------

It would be safe to say the 15" will be getting an update before 2016.

Before 2016 = sometime this year, or before the end of 2016?

JamietheMac

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Scotland
a bit off topic

I once sent Tim a email about my local store refusing to fix a Ipod classic which was 1 month out of date,

dont know who read the email but 1 week later i received a call from my local apple store asking me to come in so they could fix my Ipod " as a gesture of good will"

So im guessing somebody reads these emails.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Before 2016 = before the year 2016 i.e. sometime this year.

There are no quad core broad well chips at the moment, hence no 15" update yet.

It looks like quad core broadwell is expected in June while Skylake is expected in August... which one would Apple actually pick?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating in this thread. The 15" is going to stay. Apple is not going to get rid of a quad core laptop. The missing piece of the puzzle is the quad core mobile CPUs, hence why it has not been updated yet. It will definitely have a haptic blah blah response click pad.

I have a feeling that the 15" rMBP will be jumping straight to Skylake. Regardless of what happens, that's the model I am waiting for. Skylake has support for Thunderbolt 3. It will be the model to show us exactly where TB is heading in Apple's eyes. The TB3 port is also thinner, hence why I am considering holding out on the Macbook until the 2nd gen. I believe that it will be thin enough for Sir Jonny's fetish. I also suspect that this is when we will see a new ATD with one cable. If the new TB3 is not thin enough, then there might even be an ATD (USB-C) and a 4K/5K/whatever #K ATD Pro (TB 3)

Thunderbolt3.png

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
It will definitely have a haptic blah blah response click pad.

Don't write that off. That's a major piece of why I'm waiting rather than just buying the 15" right now. I tried it at the Apple Store and fell in love with it within seconds of first touching it yesterday.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Why would the 15" get the axe? It is an absolutely brilliant, large screened laptop, suited for heavy computational tasks on the go.

Is there actually a better 15" laptop right now? There might be some contention in the 13" category, but with its perfectly sharp retina display (I say "perfectly" because 3200x1800 is IMO of limited appeal / advantage despite being higher) it really has no competition right now.

The smaller 13" Retina Macbook Pro is a compromise between a non quad-core device and smaller screen for better portability and mid-range performance.

Frankly, it's more likely that the Macbook Air would vanish; what's the point of the "Air" when the retina Macbook is lighter than it?

Apple may have introduced the retina Macbook, but it is obviously in the non-Pro category with its comparatively weaker processor. I'm getting one, but to me it seems clear that it is targeted at the personal segment. It is a lifestyle computing device, even as the iPad is a lifestyle media consumption device, and the :apple: watch is clearly a lifestyle wearable gadget. You could debate the continued success of these products, but I think the intents and target markets are undeniable.

You may argue ports and all, but Apple has always tried to eliminate that which is not strictly necessary, and more than 1 port, especially with ever improving wireless connectivity, is not strictly necessary.

At some point in time, everything will be wireless - power, storage, inter-device data transfer. And I'm pretty sure Apple intends to lead in that direction.

In the meantime, "Pro" still needs significant connectivity - the 15", I am sure, is here to stay for a pretty long time....

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Don't write that off. That's a major piece of why I'm waiting rather than just buying the 15" right now. I tried it at the Apple Store and fell in love with it within seconds of first touching it yesterday.

I am not writing it off. I just could not remember the proper name for it.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I feel like it's more logical to go straight to Broadwell with that time frame being perfect for college students buying laptops. But that totally stinks :/
Apple has a tough choice ahead. I HAVE to buy a 15" for college and a August or later laptop will not cut it.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I feel like it's more logical to go straight to Broadwell with that time frame being perfect for college students buying laptops. But that totally stinks :/
Apple has a tough choice ahead. I HAVE to buy a 15" for college and a August or later laptop will not cut it.

Logical but won't happen if there are no new chips.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007

Apple has, in the past, gotten Intel's chips before any other manufacturer if I recall correctly. Might that happen again with Skylake? Might they announce the new 15" at WWDC in early June with Skylake then ship it in early July, a month before any other manufacturer is allowed to have it?

I personally don't mind if Apple waits until August. My computers are all working okay - I'm just ready for an upgrade now (nearly 8 years now since I bought my iMac in October 2007.)

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

No one know's for sure what apple is going to do, just have to have patience and wait and see, if your off to college, "MAYBE" the bookstore on campus has some information as to whats coming down the road. Or maybe you could work out a deal. I've seen apple stores take computers back up to 30 days after the initial purchase date, BUT thats only because the customer was going to buy something else of equal or greater value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.