15 vs 13 inch macbook pro retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Oct 23, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how many people who got the 15 inch retina are switching to 13?

2. thebritishguy macrumors member

Barely anyone I would have thought, the upgrade path and timelines don't add up.

IMO you are asking " how many people will want downgrade their hardware for the sake of 2 inches"

3. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

what kind of question is this? why would somebody that already has a rMBP 15" go for a rMBP 13"!?!?!?

seriously we're running out of topics on this forum or what?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This isn't even a versus thread. It's a downgrade thread.

5. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

Not me

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

13 inch Retina MBP is really a bad product. People say iPad mini is overpriced. In my opinion, these 13 inch MBP are really really overpriced.

No deal... and no way I would pay 1999 dollars for 13 inch Retina MBP. Apple just showed me how crazy they are. 1699 dollars or 1999 dollars for 13 inch laptop? That's just wrong.

I will stick with 15 inch RMBP.

7. shznit macrumors member

Overpriced yes, but a smart business move.

Those who really want it probably buy it anyway, or get the 15.

The people who get sticker shock buy the old one and help them clear inventory, then next year apple phases out the old MBP and lowers the price on the retina.

8. dblissmn macrumors regular

Almost certainly going to be the base 15 retina model except upgraded to 16GB for me.

For 256GB SSD storage and 8GB RAM, there's only a $100 difference between the 13 and 15 inch models in the educational channel. And that gets you quad core, the bigger display, the better speakers and discrete graphics. Dropping in the extra RAM to 16GB (the $180 cost is ridiculous, but as it's not upgradable you're kind of stuck with it) isn't even an option on the 13-inch, which arguably could use it even more given the lack of discrete graphics.

The 15-inch Retina has the best external display support this side of a Mac Pro. And the built-in display is good enough it enables me to get by without adding another color-critical monitor. The $500 upgrade to 512GB SSD is ridiculous, as much as the cost of buying a top-end Samsung or Plextor 512GB SSD on its own, so I'll just deal with extra storage by using external.

I'm not real happy about having another 15-inch computer, but the 13 rMBP is overpriced and underspecced while the 13-inch Air has an inadequate display and both 13-inch models would leave me needing an additional external display, a color-critical one in the case of the Air. And I will now have two very fine 15-inch machines for the next few years, my Sandy Bridge hi-res matte replacing my old Penryn model for backup and the Retina as my new primary. One for home and the other for work.

9. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

WAHT? you no make no sense dude.

10. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Discrete graphics makes the 15" significantly better.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

drop quad core for a dual core??? You can't be serious.

12. shznit macrumors member

Do you have a workload that requires 4 cores? Not many people do.