15" vs 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Four oF NINE, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I've spec'd out a new 13" rMBP and compared it to a 15" for similar money. If I go with another 13" I'm getting the top tier version with i7; but it looks like I can get a 15" and not be nearly so near the top of the spec range for similar performance. How much of an issue is the bigger size in terms of portability?

Have any of you made that switch? Is the quad core chip that big of a deal?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends on how you plan on using the computer. You detailed the specs but without knowing its intended usage, its hard to say which machine is a better fit.

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

We can't give specific guidance without some idea of what your going to use it for. For some workflows a 13" would be more than adequate, for others it could be completely inadequate compared to a 15".

Could be depending on what your doing with it. If your working with multithreaded work flows it can be ~2-3x as fast.

4. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'm using it mainly for internet and e-mails, but I also do some artwork with iDraw and photography editing with Aperture.. I think the extra screen real estate is probably nice, but what about portability?

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I take my 15" to my studio and back every day and it's not a problem, but I could see it being a minor nuisance if I had to move around a lot more. Really depends on how "mobile" you intend to be.

In my case, I'm not using an external monitor and absolutely need the bigger 15" screen for some of the work I do, so the decision was an easy one.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

All of those tasks can be handled on a mid tier 13" macbook pro, and an external 24" display would give you extra screen space when you need it.

7. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" (top model) rMBP.

It is an awesome machine, however my needs just changed.

I will be attending university and my travel each day is quite long and I am concerned about the size and weight of the computer.

I am considering switching to a smaller Mac. It will be between the base 13" MBA or the mid 13" rMBP (as I feel the rMBP needs the 8GB RAM). I don't need the computing power or storage of my current model, however I have an awesome screen and I am worried about getting a less than perfect screen on another Mac (not that keen on the MBA screen either).

If your funds permit, and you do not require constant portability, the 15" is a wonderful machine.

However, the 13" is definitely more portable (have previously owned), and will definitely be more than suitable for your requirements.