15 vs. 13 rMBP dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Breedlove, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Breedlove macrumors regular

After coming across a sudden windfall, I am now faced with a dilemma and was hoping to get some advice from you all.

Here are the two machines that I am now deciding between:

13" rMBP
    i7-2.8GHz Haswell
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD

15" rMBP
    i7-2.3GHz Haswell
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    nVIDIA 750M dGPU

Here are my intended uses:
    • Light coding (occasional work with VMs), video editing (FCP), photo editing (Lightroom and PS), web design.
    • HEAVY research. I do a lot of multi tasking. I go through tons of PDFs (probably close to 30 open at any given time), Evernote, Word, etc.
    • Music editing (girlfriend is a violinist and I help her with recording and post-production)
    • Occasional gaming session to blow off some steam (used to gaming on a desktop rig but that is now in storage and I do not see myself setting it back up in the foreseeable future).
    • -HD Video

My Considerations:
    • Cost is not a huge factor as the difference in price between the two machines for me would be ~$230 and I will not be replacing this machine for years to come.
    • Portability is somewhat of a concern to me as I commute with my laptop stowed away on a daily basis. The 13" seems to be the ultimate in portability but I'd have to sacrifice quite a bit to make the switch, coming from a 17" MBP. I've grown used to the size and weight of my 17" and going down to the 15" rMBP is already a huge jump.
    • Screen-size is of utmost importance to me. I do have my computer hooked up to a 25" LCD at home but I spend most of my time at the library. I need the screen real estate to have Preview or Safari open side-by-side with Word or Evernote.

Which machine should I go with?

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

15"

3. nathairtras macrumors member

If it really is of the utmost importance, get the 15".

4. doubleaa macrumors regular

I've ordered the same spec 13" to replace my 2007 15". Already thinking about returning for the same 15" you listed.

I don't carry my laptop enough to sacrifice power for size. The majority of my use is hooked up to a display. I carry a work Windows machine daily so my MBP rarely leaves the house these days. Also, I'll use this MBP for 5+ years so more power down the road is always a good thing.

5. nathairtras macrumors member

You know, that's exactly why I chose the 13". Almost always on my home wifi, so I can have other resources on the network to pick up the slack if my 13" is lacking a few years from now. The size means I can be comfortable in any room of the house.

Had a 15" PB years ago, loved it until I got a 12" PB to fill in while it was stuck in repair limbo.