15" vs. 13" w/ Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RebornKillah, Jun 14, 2009.

1. RebornKillah macrumors newbie

Hey Guys...I have been a mac pro user for several years now, and with the recent price drops for the MBPs, I making the switch from desktop to laptop. I am a college student majoring in business. However, I do video work on the side as a separate mode of income (hence the Mac Pro).

My question to you is...Should I buy the 15" MBP or buy the 13" MBP w/ a larger monitor. I dont really care about hard drive speed as I will using FW800 external drive anyways. Do you think the 9600 GT graphics card is THAT important to use Motion 3 and what not? Or is the discrete fine for an occasional video here and there? From what I have read on the forums, the difference in processor speed from the 2.53 and the 2.66 is negligible, correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You'll be using Motion so 9600GT really helps. Of course 9400M handles Motion somehow but much worse than 9600GT does. Processor bump isn't noticeable. Remember that 2.66GHz with 9600GT has better resale value as well

3. RebornKillah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Thats what I figured in regards to the video card. I guess spending a little more now will help me in the long run if I decide to sell it.