15" vs 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertd, Jul 21, 2011.

1. robertd macrumors newbie

I'm going to be purchasing a new MacBook Pro in the next few days (upgrading from a 2007 MacBook Pro 15"). I'm a college student but the money difference isn't an issue for me. I'm a nursing student so I dont really need to carry the computer with me at all times or to all classes and mostly would use it for typing care plans/papers, using the Internet, and for music. I really love the 13" size but I am more concerned I'll buy it and end up regreting I didn't upgrade to the 15".

Based on my situation which computer do you tech savvy people think is the best purchase for me? Is the 15" just a better upgrade since the money issue isn't there or is the 13" more suited for me?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

you don't really need the extra screen/resolution or dedicated gpu to type a paper while on safari with itunes playing, so ... 13''.

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Baller status. If money isn't an issue, go high-end 15" with all options. Be done with it. :apple:

4. DropKick macrumors member

agreed.

5. waterman460000 macrumors newbie

this.

6. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I have the 15" 2007 MBP. Loved it but now it's getting slow. I was thinking about getting a 13" because it's more portable and I have the iMac for home. Have you thought about Airs? Higher screen resolution for that 13" plus a lot easier to carry around

7. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Since money is not an issue, get the 15". Its more than you need but should last you longer if you decide you won't be switching computers for a couple of years.

However, the 13" would handle your needs just fine and probably the more sensible choice.

8. Chiuy macrumors 6502

15" is the better choice, duh... but for what you're doing...
    the 13" is the much better choice. Don't waste $500 on specs that you don't need.

It's like having an $1000 processor and a $500 graphic card with 16GB ram and 750GB SSD and only using it to type homework paper and surf. What a waste.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well it's obvious what's going on here. Everyone suggesting the 15 inch has no real value of money nor rational spending and budgeting. That's that.

Get the 13 inch baseline model. Either that or the new MacBook Air. You aren't going to be taxing the CPU or graphics cards hardly at all and ANY MacBook being sold will do the job quite nicely.

You have the money but it isn't wise to just "spend it" because you have it. That's never the right thing to do.

10. Alpha.K macrumors member

Don't let anybody fool you, the 15" is massive. I bought it an while enjoy the extra screen space be prepared to handle any difficulty that may arise with a larger laptop. For example, clearing more room to charge it on a cramped desk, harded to carry around (even if it's just a quick move from the couch to the bed) and its slightly harder to move around on your lap while you're sitting on a couch/lying in bed. I just got mine and next year I will reconsider my purchase and may get the 13" because it's easier to manage around the house.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

probably the most incorrect statement one could make.

it has higher class hardware and it is larger, but it's not necessarily "better" or "the better choice" by default.

12. robertd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys! Really opening up my thought process on which to get.

I noticed with the 13" the speakers aren't on the sides of the keyboard like they are with the 15". How is the sound with the 13"/are the speakers as good as the 15"?

13. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

have had both and am most pleased with the 13!

14. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

They are not as good IMO I compared my 13" speakers to my friend's 15" and his sounded fuller and louder...

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If they're anything like the speakers in my 4 year old MB, then yes, they're good. They're on the inside and due to some fine tweaking of the drivers, they display 3 dimensional sound very well... the best I have ever heard in laptop speakers.