15" vs 15" MBPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Microkozm, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Microkozm macrumors newbie

I'm a potential switcher thats caught in the midst of the "Which :apple: should I buy?" question. I've been looking at the 15" MBpro, but one thing I cant seem to decide on, is whether the extra $500 for 256megs of more video ram is worth it. I understand this is Apple Im talking about, but that still seems pretty excessive for the 'premium' price hike. And I dont think anyone here needs to note the 2.5ghz processor. 100mhz isnt going to really wow me.

Overall, does anyone here have the premium 15"? Do you use the extra ram for video work or gaming?

2. change macrumors member

It depends on what your intended use is. The 2.5Ghz processor also includes more cache, so there will be more than the 100Mhz difference. The extra VRAM is very nice too. I use my Macs for Audio Video and Photography, though, so i tax these things more than an average user. If you have the cash, and want to do some gaming, go for it IMO.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Unless you have the need for it (the video editing/serious gaming thing), plunk the money into aftermarket ram. Which will run you $100 rather than apple's $600... Look, you just saved $900!!! :eek:

(For all of you keeping score at home, that was $500 saved on video, $500 saved on Apple RAM, $100 spent on after market RAM. ;) )

4. Microkozm thread starter macrumors newbie

I wont be doing any video editing. I would be using Illustrator/Photoshop and all that really does is tax the processor and ram. I would really miss the gaming portion though :( bah... thanks for the input though. I just need to keep looking into the screen yellowing issue to see if nows the time to buy

5. Sogo macrumors 6502

You know despite the increase you may still not really feel any big difference. Yes the newer one will be faster but only by a few seconds here a few second there. But unless you get to use both, you wont really know if its faster or not.