15" VS 17" and SSD question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Darius Aziz, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

So my dear macrumors friends! The time has come, between loans disbursing and my next paycheck it is time to buy my new laptop for college!

Earlier when the AIR had just launched I was caught in the craze but now I seem to find myself wanting the classic pro!

So I can't seem to decide between the 15 and the 17, thoughts from those of you who own them? I am leaning 15 because I do need to carry it with me to classes etc.

Now what would you do? Go with an Apple 128 SSD and optibay a HDD in a few months? or HDD for now and optibay an SSD later?

I am leaning towards an SSD sooner, just so its less work in the long run, also I've heard Apples SSDs are pretty stable.

2. Liquinn Suspended

I know what you mean, the Air is good, but I want the next MBP pro.

I'd personally get the 17" if you can afford it and get a SSD if you can afford that, but you could probably get a 15" and a 256GB SSD for the price of a 17" (I think).

What will you be using the machine for? Video editing? Graphic work?

Cheers

Edit: Apple want 400 pounds for a 256GB, here you can get one for £287.85.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2...JL2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315077075&sr=8-1

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I had a 17 inch but after 4 or 5 of them, I got tired of lugging them around. Went for the 15 inch and could not be happier. It is a nice machine. As for the drives, I have two SSD's mounted. The primary drive is filled with an Intel 320 120GB, and the Optibay is filled with an Intel 510 250GB. They are quiet, quiet, quiet, and seem to run flawlessly.

Good luck with what you decide.

4. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Mostly studies, surfing, music and the like. But I want to be able to play some games (SWTOR boot camped when it comes out)

and use Lightroom!

5. Liquinn Suspended

Maybe the 15" will be good for your use, and hook it up to an external display or something like that.

When are you going to buy the machine? There's rumors of a redesign next year, which is putting me off from buying a MBP now.

6. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Eh, there will always be a new model around the corner, and most likely the next refresh will be a smaller one while the late 2012 update will be a full redesign.

I need a new comp now, my 2008 macbook is just a BIT dated

7. Liquinn Suspended

Good luck with your MBP purchase though :D

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

That's the spirit. I buy a new computer every year. There will always be something new and improved. Life is short. Eat dessert first....

9. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

I would love to grab a new system every refresh! That would be awesome!

But this upgrade is a few years overdo!

I am pretty sure Ill go with a 15, but I am still debating the SSD or HDD

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

SSD all the way. I had a Seagate 7200 RPM 500GB drive and it was fast, but after I put in the Intel SSD, no turning back. You can get an Optibay as well (http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/) and install 2 SSD's into your system. Have a boot drive of say 120 gigs for system and such, and a 250 or larger for all the other stuff. Also, do not get hung up on TRIM, garbage collection, wear and tear on the SSD's as others have done here. Just install and enjoy. Your SSD's will last long after you have moved on to a new computer.

11. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

My concern is particularly that I can't afford more then just a 120 right this moment, I am budgeting around 2.5k for my MBP. I am getting the anti-glare screen, planning to upgrade the ram aftermarket and eventually put more SSD/HDD in at some point. I think I can live on the 128 and externals for now, but I am just curious what the best plan is.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

This is the right path you are taking. Slow and sure. I bought my first Mac while living in Kuwait five or six years ago. Haven't look back once. Get yourself a nice reliable external, but portable HDD, and use this for the heavy lifting until you are ready to spring for more. Having the 2 SSD's has taught me to live lean and mean on my Mac. No more installing junk and keeping stuff I will never use. The primary has the boot OS, and apps, while the 2nd SSD has iTunes and Aperture. My iTunes lib only has music on it, no vids, so this too is lean and only what I really need. You will love the boot times. I still smile when I see it book in about 15 seconds. :)

BTW.. I put 8 gigs of RAM in mine. Big difference...

13. Darius Aziz thread starter macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Did you go with eight right off the batt? Also suggestions for an external?

14. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Yup. Bought the Mac, and 8 gigs right away. I am using a WD My Passport with F/W 800. Why not use it? It's faster than USB and it does not take up a USB port. Fast and quiet.